Britons preferring a hug to a handshakeMay 24th, 2012 - 1:05 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 24 (IANS) Britons seem to be shedding their traditional reserve. They are doing away with greeting each other with a formal handshake and have started preferring a casual hug or a peck on the cheek in its place, a study has found.
Nearly half of the Britons no longer offer to shake hands with people they meet, with 12 per cent preferring a peck on the cheek or not bothering with a greeting at all. Almost a third of those in a survey said they go straight in for a hug and shaking hands with friends is definitely out, the Daily Express reported.
One in five said they feel the custom of handshake is “too formal”, while 42 per cent said it is only appropriate in a business setting. There are also many who find unhygienic, with one in 12 of those questioned saying they worried about germs.
Over half of the men said they hug their mates, with 15 per cent admitting to planting a kiss on their best buddy. Almost a quarter of men believe that a firm handshake is an “outdated display of masculinity”.
Nick Wilcher, marketing manager at Radox which polled 1,000 adults in its survey, said: “It is interesting to see how the British public are falling out of favour with the handshake.”
- Study: More people prefer fist bump to handshake nowadays - Oct 30, 2010
- 1 in 5 Brits wear their undies at least 250 times before buying new ones! - Dec 02, 2010
- Brits 'waving goodbye to handshake' - Jan 27, 2010
- Britons crave to be hugged - Nov 26, 2011
- 40pc of Brits prefer their mums' home cooking to anyone else's - Aug 31, 2010
- Spanish painter Salvador Dali 'had most famous moustache' - Nov 04, 2010
- Half of Brit women won't go nude during sex - Jul 14, 2010
- Women prefer men to be funny rather than flawless! - Mar 07, 2011
- Britons 'too scared' to try outdoor activities - Jun 09, 2010
- Britons see price, not quality, when it comes to wine - Dec 04, 2010
- Kate Middleton might face 'Royal' snobbery in new role at Palace, finds poll - Apr 23, 2011
- Nargis upset with queries on Ness Wadia - Jun 06, 2012
- Women 'as likely as men to enjoy casual sexual' - Mar 24, 2011
- Over a third of Brit adults still take their teddy to bed - Aug 16, 2010
- Chinese youths hire dates to please parents (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012