British school bans hugs, handshakesMay 27th, 2011 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 27 (IANS) A school in Britain has reportedly banned students from hugging and shaking hands. Parents have termed the ban “extreme”, “crazy” and “ludicrous”.
The school administration at the Quest Academy, in Croydon in South London, imposed the “no contact” rule as they say it prevents fighting or bullying, The Sun reported.
A 15-year-old pupil, Dayna Chong, was sent to detention for “cuddling” a female friend in school.
Her mother Anita, terming the policy “extreme” and “ludicrous”, said: “If the kids can’t even hug each other at school, some of them will never learn how to be socially interactive.”
“School is supposed to be where we start teaching our children how to be social - shaking hands, hugging, opening up. You need an embrace to comfort you when things go wrong. I’ve never heard of anything so crazy in my life.”
The school has 800 students aged 11 to 18.
A spokesman said: “Physical contact between students is not allowed because it is often associated with poor behaviour or bullying and can lead to fighting.”
School principal Andy Crofts added: “It creates a disciplined environment which is essential for learning and respect.”
- There should be zero tolerance for digital bullying: Expert - Dec 30, 2010
- British kids carry knives to school - Sep 12, 2011
- Australian school bans kids from hugging - Nov 17, 2010
- Kardashian sisters to grace 'Extreme Makeover' show - Dec 02, 2011
- Anger management lessons for pupils at British school - Jan 24, 2012
- UK kids as young as 7 have Facebook accounts, get 'cyber bullied' - Mar 15, 2011
- Brit 'super' head teacher calls Facebook 'evil' - Jul 12, 2010
- South African pupils prefer English in schools - Feb 08, 2012
- Anti-bullying program cuts nasty gossip among school children - Jan 05, 2011
- Teenagers' take on why bullying occurs - Nov 12, 2010
- Brit school bans Miss Sexy trousers for being 'unhelpful to learning' - Nov 04, 2010
- 12-year-old autistic boy hangs himself after being bullied - Dec 01, 2011
- British school to give iPads to 1,400 students - Jul 15, 2011
- Florida school makes changes to nut allergy restrictions - Mar 28, 2011
- 20 pc head teachers in UK being bullied on Facebook: Poll - May 01, 2011
Tags: anita, crofts, croydon, dayna, embrace, female friend, fighting school, interactive school, parents, poor behaviour, pupil, quest academy, school administration, school principal, shaking hands, south london, spokesman, sun