British couple wins $260 mn jackpotJuly 16th, 2011 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 16 (IANS) A British couple is on cloud nine after winning Britain’s biggest lottery jackpot of 161 million pounds (about $260 million).
Colin and Chris Weir, who live in a modest three-bedroom detached house in the Scottish seaside town of Largs, will earn 9,323 pounds a day in interest alone!
The euphoric couple startled the nation by coming forward to claim the record-breaking prize which has catapulted them among the ranks of Britain’s super-rich.
The jackpot, Europe’s biggest-ever single win, has instantly propelled the couple to 430th on the Sunday Times’ Rich list.
They couple admitted that revealing themselves to the world would let them have the time of their lives as they revel in the huge scoop with family and friends, Daily Express reported.
Chris, 55, a retired psychiatric nurse, said: “We’re not afraid of this. It seems mammoth, it seems absolutely fantastical. I woke up on Tuesday morning and everything was normal. I woke up on Wednesday and the world was totally different for us.”
She said they considered staying anonymous after becoming the only people in Europe to match the numbers in Tuesday’s EuroMillions draw.
“That wasn’t a possibility because we would not have been able to enjoy the experience. We would have had to have constructed lies for our nearest and dearest,” Chris added.
“We don’t want to live like that. But it’s such a wonderful thing to have happened.”
But Colin, 64, insisted that he and his wife were not “flashy people”, saying he would not even replace their old cars.
“I don’t think we’ll be immediately swapping cars, if you’ve got reliable cars what’s the point,” he asked.
The couple has been married for 30 years.
- Ticketholder in Britain wins 41 mn pound jackpot - Jan 22, 2012
- Briton scoops 148-mn-pound jackpot - Aug 11, 2012
- Britain's record jackpot winner to walk away with $180 mn - Oct 09, 2010
- Brit couple beat 196 trillion to 1 odd after matching lotto numbers twice - Feb 09, 2011
- Briton wins $98 mn lottery share - Jun 09, 2012
- British couple wins $88 mn lottery - Feb 15, 2010
- Couple wins $88mn lottery, daughter says 'whatever' - Feb 16, 2010
- Belgian wins 15 mn euros in lottery - Sep 17, 2011
- Lottery millionaire Mr Topham bans his mother from his life - Mar 05, 2012
- Lottery winners with £148 million fortune take EasyJet flight - Aug 17, 2012
- 'Mega Millions' jackpot reaches record $500 million - Mar 29, 2012
- Lottery winner just wants a new carpet - Jan 25, 2012
- Cambridge richest university in Britain: Report - Mar 03, 2012
- Christmas Eve luckiest day for winning lottery - Dec 24, 2010
- Lottery cash prize winners bring misery to partners - Oct 25, 2010
Tags: biggest lottery jackpot, british couple, cloud nine, detached house, europe, family and friends, london, old cars, psychiatric nurse, reliable cars, scoop, seaside town, sunday times rich list, swapping cars, times rich list, tuesday morning, weir, wonderful thing