Bollywood, fashion world unite against cervical cancerJuly 1st, 2012 - 2:42 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 1 (IANS) A bevy of popular names from the world of fashion and Bollywood came together Saturday night to create awareness on cervical cancer.
Actors Kunal Kapoor and Yuvika Chaudhary, singer Shibani Kashyap and Miss India Earth Hasleen Kaur walked the runway to show their support for the cause.
Ace fashion designers Namrata Joshipura, Anju Modi and Poonam Bhagat showcased varied collections, which ranged from white angelic anarkali suits to glittering black pants.
“It’s very important that people are coming out and creating such awareness about cervical cancer because it’s a cancer that kills one woman every seven minutes. It is the only cancer that can be prevented. There is a vaccination for it,” Kunal Kapoor told IANS.
“We are proud to launch ‘Guard Your Angel’, an initiative to create awareness on cervical cancer and its preventive options. I don’t think many people are aware of that. I think not only women but men should also come forward for the cause. We all have mothers, sisters, wives and girlfriends who we should take care of,” said K.G. Ananthakrishnan, managing director of MSD Pharmaceuticals India.
Shibani Kashyap, who sang a few verses of the song she had created to support the cause, said there should be campaigns and ads for the not-so-tech-savvy women, so that they are also informed about the cancer.
“There needs to be more campaigns on television. Women who are housewives or the ones who do not surf the net, they do watch television,” she said.
Femina Miss India Earth 2011 Hasleen Kaur said women should not be bogged down by responsibilities and should take care of themselves.
“I think daughters as well as mothers who have responsibilities should not be bogged down by the responsibilities. Symptoms are something that you may not get to know for a long time. You should take an action and forcefully and not just plain talking,” Kaur said.
- Miss India a nice platform to raise social issues: Hasleen - Jun 27, 2011
- Jalandhar girl wins Femina Miss India World title - Mar 31, 2012
- Kanishtha Dhankhar crowned Pantaloons Femina Miss India World 2011 - Apr 15, 2011
- Need to create awareness about cancer of cervix: Doctors - Mar 08, 2012
- New Miss India wants to uplift rural masses - Apr 19, 2011
- No big stars shone on LFW ramp - Mar 16, 2011
- Femina Miss India pageant enters 50th year - Sep 18, 2012
- Designers' ode to free-spirited women at WIFW show - Oct 10, 2011
- Vaccination can prevent cervical cancer deaths: Experts - Aug 07, 2012
- Zoya directs adfilm to create awareness about cancer (With Images) - Jul 11, 2012
- Screening can save Indian women from killer cancer - Mar 06, 2011
- Forbes list eludes as Indian models fight odds - Jul 08, 2011
- Changing lifestyle toughens India's cancer battle (Feb 4 is World Cancer Day) - Feb 03, 2012
- No favouritism at beauty pageants: Miss Earth Nicole Faria - Nov 14, 2011
- Sonam asks fans for special birthday gift - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: anju modi, bevy, cervical cancer, fashion designers, fashion world, femina miss india, housewives, kaur, kunal kapoor, managing director, msd, New Delhi, pharmaceuticals, poonam, savvy women, shibani kashyap, vaccination, wives and girlfriends, world of fashion, yuvika chaudhary