Bizarre Dutch law allows cannabis smoking but fines tobacco users!September 25th, 2008 - 4:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, September 25 (ANI): The bizarre Dutch policy of allowing smokers to puff away on pure cannabis but not tobacco has apparently perplexed police in the Netherlands, who have fined a man for mixing the two substances.
Zero tolerance to tobacco smoking in Dutch cafes and restaurants is being exercised since a ban came into force last July.
A spokesman for the Amsterdam Police has accepted that it is very difficult to understand the rule that allows cannabis smoking while fining tobacco users.
“For logic it is sometimes impossible to explain, even to the Dutch,” the Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“The man was not fined for smoking a cannabis joint but for smoking. You can smoke cannabis but not tobacco in coffee shops,” he added.
The unnamed 27-year-old man was caught lighting a hand rolled cannabis joint during a routine police check, and fined because officers found tobacco mixed with the soft drug.
He is expected to contest the case in court. (ANI)
- Dutch court bans foreigners from Cannabis cafes - Apr 28, 2012
- Netherlands to close cannabis coffee shops to tourists - May 28, 2011
- Russia to ban hookah smoking in public - Nov 10, 2011
- Beware of cameras while smoking in Shanghai - Jul 28, 2012
- Dutch police arrest terrorism suspect in Amsterdam - Mar 17, 2012
- Bhutanese police raid homes to stub out smoking habit - Jan 12, 2011
- Mizoram get tough against tobacco use and drug abuse - Oct 08, 2011
- More young adults into social smoking - Feb 22, 2012
- Amsterdam airport evacuated after bomb threat - Feb 13, 2012
- Novel test may lead to custom-tailored quitting approaches for smokers - Aug 29, 2010
- Like your morning cigarette? You're at greater risk! - Aug 08, 2011
- Smoking okay on reel, not in real: B-Town (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Smoking hasten cardiac problems, cancer in youngsters (May 31 is World No Tobacco Day) - May 30, 2012
- Delhi civic body tightens anti-tobacco measures - Jul 15, 2011
- Mizoram launches 'No smoking' campaign - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: amsterdam, cafes and restaurants, coffee shops, dutch law, dutch policy, logic, london, netherlands, old man, police check, routine police, smokers, spokesman, telegraph, tobacco smoking, tobacco users, tolerance