Bihar to celebrate Holi FridayMarch 8th, 2012 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 8 (IANS) While Holi was celebrated across India Thursday, the festival of colours was deferred by a day in Bihar — due to astrological reasons, people in the state will celebrate the festival Friday.
People in Bihar have been advised by astrologers not to celebrate Holi Thursday and to do so only Friday. “We are not celebrating Holi Thursday as it is not auspicious. We will celebrate it Friday,” Mahesh Prasad Mahto, a shopkeeper in Phulwarisharief locality here said.
Patna-based astrologer Nawalkishore Mishra said March 7 was the “Holika Dahan” day while March 9 was the day to celebrate Holi when people throw colour on each other.
“The gap between the Holika Dahan and Holi is due to astrological reasons. According to the “panchang” (Hindu astrological calendar) of Mithila and Benares, water colours come out on the occasion of “Pratipada”, the day after Purnima (Full-Moon Day),” he said.
Purnima would continue till late on March 8, the day following Holika Dahan. But Purnima is not considered auspicious for Holi. According to the Mithila Panchang, the date of watercolour Holi is March 9, Mishra said.
- On Holi, Nitish dons pink for Badal - Mar 09, 2012
- Trees cut for Holi, green activists despair - Mar 07, 2012
- Green lobby concerned at lopping of forest trees - Mar 19, 2011
- United colours of Holi splash India (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- President, vice president greet nation on Holi - Mar 18, 2011
- Nation celebrates 'Holi' with gusto - Mar 01, 2010
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- On Kartik Purnima, thousands take holy dip - Nov 10, 2011
- Lalu, Nitish Kumar to miss Holi celebrations - Mar 19, 2011
- Devotees celebrate Kartik Purnima across India - Nov 21, 2010
- Two killed during Holi celebrations in Bihar - Mar 12, 2009
- Millions celebrate Makar Sankranti in Bihar - Jan 14, 2011
- Dalai Lama arrives in Patna to inaugurate Buddha Smriti Park - May 26, 2010
- Bihar to survey non-resident Biharis - Dec 14, 2011
- Holi splashes its colours on India (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2010