Besides exercising, now massage your way to good healthMay 27th, 2009 - 9:39 am ICT by IANS
By Shilpa Raina
New Delhi, May 27 (IANS) If you think hitting a gym and regular exercising is your only gateway to a healthy lifestyle, think again. For a balanced life it’s important to relax, rejuvenate and de-stress yourself through ayurvedic massages, say experts.
“Concepts like inner wellness, wellbeing are understood by few. To maintain a healthy lifestyle there should be a proper balance between exercising and stress-free mind and body which can be obtained only when a person feels good from within,” said Siddharth Shankar, director of Mystic Cures that has developed an exclusive range of spa treatments.
“When you are stressed and tired, all you need is a good massage to rejuvenate your senses. High-quality spa treatments delivered in a serene setting make you feel good and have lots of health benefits as well,” he added.
Apart from relieving stress, ayurvedic massages also help in body toning and curing ailments like arthritis, diabetes, spondylitis, migraine and others.
“Healing through massages is a slow but zero side-effect process. We use special oils that work at the physical level to soothe the aching muscles and tensed nerves. The slow and soft strokes at the particular point help a lot in getting rid of any ailment slowly,” Kerala Ayurvedic’s physician Ranjan Kapoor told IANS.
“We use medicinal oil because body should get the medicinal value of the massage and at the same time you should feel relaxed also. This medicinal massage deals with pain, strengthens muscles and takes care of de-generation of the body,” he added.
According to Kapoor, Ayurveda removes the cause of disease and re-establishes balance in the system.
Various ayurvedic massages that are popular include Abhyangam, Sirodhara, Nasya and Dhara.
Talking about its benefits, Kapoor said massage can help in maintaining physical, mental and emotional well being especially when it is part of wellness routine.
Also, it calms the nervous system and promotes a sense of relaxation, improves blood circulation, which delivers oxygen and nutrients to the cell and prevents and relieve muscles cramps and spasms.
Kerala-based Kairali Ayurvedic Spa’s Senior Vice President (Marketing) Ram Mohan said “Panchakarma” also known a the king of all treatments benefits those who have sleep disorders and want to detoxify their system.
In case you want to lose weight then Kairali Ayurvedic Spa offers “Udwarthanam” - a dry herbal powder and paste massage that promises to take away body fat. It is priced at Rs.1,400 for a sitting and requires multiple sittings depending on the results.
Though Shankar believes that massages can just tone your body. Regular exercise and a healthy diet too play pivotal role in leading a healthy lifestyle, he said.
Even though these massages don’t have any adverse effect on the body one should always take care of a few things.
“You shouldn’t get massage if you have a fever, infections, inflammation, osteoporosis and other medical conditions. If you have any questions about whether a massage would be right for you because of an existing medical condition, make sure you speak to a massage therapist to avoid any side effects,” Mohan said.
These treatments are priced at Rs.500 upwards.
- Kerala to take ayurveda tourism to next level (With Images) - Aug 23, 2012
- Rejuvenating ayurvedic massage, the Kairali way (IANS Spa review- With Image) - May 24, 2010
- Ayurvedic spa packages ready for Games tourists (With Images) - Sep 15, 2010
- Heal yourself in nature's lap at Kairali (IANS Travel, With Images) - May 20, 2010
- Spa culture catching on big way in India - Aug 09, 2010
- India's best spas rated, recognised (With Images) - May 18, 2012
- First time in spa? Try Swedish massage (IANS Spa Review) - Mar 03, 2010
- Spas grow as city slickers look for rejuvenation - Aug 14, 2010
- Go for fusion massage at VLCC Skin and Hair Spa (IANS Spa Review) - Feb 13, 2011
- True Spa - a spacious spa in Mumbai (IANS Spa Review) (With Images) - Aug 23, 2010
- Massage is actually good for your immune system - Sep 09, 2010
- Massaging promotes pain relief, muscle recovery - Feb 06, 2012
- Need to de-stress? Walk into this neighbourhood spa in Gurgaon (IANS Spa Review) - May 11, 2010
- This monsoon, head for Kerala's healing ayurveda touch - Apr 06, 2010
- Fish therapy introduced in Chennai - Nov 27, 2010
Tags: aching muscles, ailment, ayurveda, ayurvedic massages, balanced life, body toning, de generation, dhara, health benefits, healthy lifestyle, medicinal oil, mind and body, nasya, proper balance, quality spa, raina, ranjan, relieving stress, shilpa, spa treatments