Be busy to stay happyJuly 30th, 2010 - 4:13 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 30 (IANS) Keep yourself busy to stay happy. People who have something to do, even if pointless, are happier than those who sit idle, say researchers.
The study was conducted by Christopher K. Hsee and Adelle X. Yang of the University of Chicago and Liangyan Wang of the Shanghai Jiaotong University.
“The general phenomenon I’m interested in is why people are so busy doing what they are doing in modern society,” says Hsee.
Sure, there are reasons, like making a living, earning money, accruing fame, helping others, and so on, reported the reports the journal Psychological Science.
But, Hsee says, “I think there’s something deeper: We have excessive energy and we want to avoid idleness.”
For the study, volunteers completed a survey, then had to wait 15 minutes before the next survey would be ready.
They could drop off the completed survey at a nearby location and wait out the remaining time or drop it off at a location, where walking back and forth would keep them busy for the 15 minutes.
Either way, they would receive a candy when they handed in their survey. Volunteers who chose to stay busy by going to the faraway locations were found to be happier than those who chose to be idle.
- Keeping busy is the key to happiness - Jul 31, 2010
- Keep yourself busy to stay happy - Jul 30, 2010
- Be busy to be happy, says study - Aug 01, 2010
- Upper classes more likely to cheat, cut corners - Feb 28, 2012
- Chinese social media users 'happier' than Westerners - Jun 28, 2012
- Why we can't sit idle - Jul 24, 2010
- We tend to eat more after seeing overweight people: Study - Apr 20, 2011
- You can fidget your way to fitness - Jun 29, 2011
- Presence of obese people prompts us to eat more - Apr 20, 2011
- Geronimo EKA: Magic words that Obama was waiting to hear - May 03, 2011
- Hong Kong to penalise drivers for idling engines - Dec 15, 2011
- Kate Moss sizzles in Longchamp shoot for latest bag collection - Feb 12, 2011
- UK mum was told 16-month toddler's cancer was 'cold' - Dec 11, 2010
- Kristen Bell's bikini body secret - keeping busy - Aug 19, 2010
- 'Spousonomics' says economics is key to keeping marriage strong - Mar 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,