Barbie turns 50March 9th, 2009 - 10:55 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
On 9 March,2009, Barbie turns half a century. Over the years, there had been many changes but out of all that she had not got a wrinkle on her forehead or a single gray hair. Barbie Millicent Roberts was first introduced to the world in 1959 at the New York Toy Fair. She was named after her creator Ruth Handler’s daughter Barbara. Ruth Handler had seen her child play with baby and toddler dolls, but at the time saw a gap in the American market for a toy which represented a young woman. In their debut year, more than 300,000 were sold, at a price of $3 each.
The children’s very first doll dressed a black and white swimsuit, high-heeled sandals, and had the trademark high eyebrows.
The world’s biggest Barbie store after its six-storey pink palace opened at the weekend in Shanghai. Worldwide, Barbie sales fell 21 per cent in the last quarter of last year, despite of it the company is confident China will prove a winner. China is a huge market for the dolls, even with the $A55 price tag of the exclusive Shanghai Barbie doll. It is equivalents to the salary for the factory worker.
- Barbie doll creator dead - Jul 24, 2011
- Iran shutting down shops selling Barbies? - Jan 22, 2012
- Barbie was inspired by saucy German adults-only doll - Mar 10, 2009
- FBI Issues Warning Notice About Barbie "Video Girl" Doll - Dec 05, 2010
- Hitler ordered sex dolls for Nazi troops - Jul 11, 2011
- New Barbie dolls for Olympics 2012 - Jul 26, 2012
- Katrina Kaif: The Perfect Barbie Doll! - Nov 25, 2010
- New dolls on Pattinson, Stewart 'Twilight' wedding - Jan 12, 2012
- Barbie Doll Camera Boycott Urged By Psychologists - Nov 02, 2010
- "Barbie Video Girl" - A Trap Set By Pedophiles? - Dec 24, 2010
- Putin's 'mistress' planning to release Barbie-style doll of herself - Jan 20, 2011
- Barbie turns 50, looking better than many 20-year-olds - Mar 08, 2009
- Barbie Doll Link Takes User To Pornographic Site - Dec 24, 2010
- Will Barbie doll sport a bald look? - Jan 13, 2012
- 'Green toys' pull visitors to Delhi expo - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: barbie doll, barbie millicent roberts, barbie store, child play, daughter barbara, equivalents, eyebrows, forehead, gap, gray hair, half a century, high heeled sandals, huge market, last quarter, millicent, new york toy fair, pink palace, price tag, ruth handler, toddler dolls