Bangers and mash is Brits’ most popular comfort food amid recessionJune 22nd, 2009 - 6:00 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 22 (ANI): Bangers and mash is Britons’ most popular food for comfort eating as they battle the ongoing recession, according to a new survey.
According to the survey commissioned by TV channel Good Food, the traditional dish emerged as the frontrunner with 16 per cent of the votes in its favour as compared to last year.
More than 3,000 British adults voted fish and chips to the second spot, with 15 per cent votes, followed by beans on toast, with 10 per cent.
The survey also found that British people were gaining more weight as they upped their food intake because of the economic slump.
“It’s heartening to know that even if people can’t afford to go out they are still having fun with good food and the friends they’ve invited round,” the Telegraph quoted Richard Kingsbury, head of the Good Food channel, as saying.
“Food programmes have played a part in giving people the confidence and creativity to have a go at cooking for friends whether it be bangers and mash or Thai green curry,” he added.
Celebrity chef Brian Turner also said: “At a time when we are getting less for more when we buy food, comfort deserts such as chocolate cake, fruit crumble and custard and treacle sponge with custard are helping to put a smile back on our faces. It’s feel-good food for Britain at its best.”
Most popular comfort food
Bangers and mash (16 per cent)
Fish and chips (15 per cent)
Baked beans on toast (10 per cent)
Chocolate cake (8 per cent) (ANI)
- Brits rate Bacon sandwiches as their favorite tasty pleasure - Mar 15, 2011
- Traditional apple crumble named ''Britain''s favourite school pudding'' - Mar 04, 2009
- 6 out of 10 of British meals have foreign origin - May 19, 2010
- Italian food is now world's favourite - Jan 18, 2011
- Kat-Will's wedding cake choice creates stir in fashionable baking quarters - Mar 28, 2011
- Indian curry, Italian spaghetti now Britain's favourite dishes - Sep 16, 2009
- Shepherd's pie is Brits' favourite home-cooked meal - Apr 15, 2010
- Chinese stir-fry is Britain's top dish - Jan 22, 2012
- Brits fall back in love with fish 'n' chips - Sep 24, 2010
- Toast is Britain's favourite smell - Sep 11, 2010
- UK's fish and chips preserving regional dialects - Feb 16, 2010
- Apple in toffee syrup or marshmallows? Take your Easter pick - Apr 05, 2012
- Eating junk food as addictive as drugs - Oct 01, 2010
- Mash, pie await you at Olympic food village - May 31, 2012
- Now children are cooking their first meal 5-yrs earlier than their parents did - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: baked beans, bangers and mash, beans on toast, brian turner, british adults, british people, celebrity chef, chocolate cake, comfort food, economic slump, fish and chips, food channel, food intake, frontrunner, fruit crumble, good food, kingsbury, survey also found that, thai green curry, traditional dish