ASI to excavates ruins near Vikramshila UniversityMarch 21st, 2012 - 6:04 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, March 21 (IANS) The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) plans to take up conservation work of the ruins of Vikramshila University in Bihar and excavate nearby areas in April.
ASI Patna circle’s Superintending Archaeologist Sanjay K. Manjul said that conservation work of the remains of the ancient university would begin next month.
“ASI has decided to take up excavation over 116 acres of land not excavated earlier,” he said.
He said all this would help the Bihar government’s move to develop Vikramshila’s ruins as a tourist destination like Nalanda, situated around 90 km from the state capital.
The ASI has roped in the National Culture Fund (NCF) and the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) to conserve its excavated ruins with an initial investment of Rs.2 crore.
“The conservation of 208 shells or reading room-like structures adjoining the main stupa and a major portion of the excavated structure will be taken up,” another official said.
Vikramshila University was set up by the Pala dynasty (750-1174 A.D) king Dharmapala in the late 8th or early 9th century.
The site is located near Antichak village in Bhagalpur district. It was among the most important centres of Buddhist learning in ancient India.
But the remains of Vikramshila University have been neglected for years.
- Like Nalanda, Vikramshila may rise from ruins - Jan 24, 2012
- (After 1)Eighth-century Bihar university set for conservation - Nov 02, 2011
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics - Feb 11, 2012
- Bihar stupa could contain Buddha relics (Lead) - Feb 11, 2012
- Amartya Sen in Bihar for Nalanda meeting - Jul 18, 2012
- Amartya Sen-headed Nalanda varsity group to meet in Patna - Jul 05, 2011
- Gangetic river dolphins on road to recovery? - Nov 11, 2011
- Nalanda Mentor Group holds meet in Patna - Jul 06, 2011
- Padma for Singapore ex-minister with Nalanda connect - Jan 25, 2012
- Bihar's potatoes to be exported to Russia - Aug 31, 2012
- Imposing Buddhist stupa discovered in Bihar (Lead) - Feb 09, 2009
- Court seeks action ASI report over mosque - Aug 24, 2012
- China to help develop Nalanda International University: Envoy - Jan 21, 2011
- World's second-largest Buddhist stupa discovered in Bihar - Feb 09, 2009
- Bihar to celeberate Dolphin Day - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: ancient india, archaeological survey of india, archaeologist, bihar government, buddhist, conservation work, d king, dharmapala, excavation, initial investment, nalanda, national culture, ncf, nearby areas, patna, reading room, rs 2, sanjay, stupa, tourist destination