Aseem Trivedi walks out of jail (Lead)September 12th, 2012 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Sep 12 (IANS) Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi walked out of prison Wednesday, four days after he was charged with sedition. Trivedi, an activist of India Against Corruption (IAC), had been given bail Tuesday. The case had led to outrage in the country.
Trivedi was arrested on Saturday and sent to police custody for seven days. He was charged with sedition for drawing cartoons insulting the Indian emblem, including the constitution, during Anna Hazare’ anti-corruption movement in Mumbai in December 2011.
Following nationwide outrage, the Mumbai police Monday produced him before a court where he was granted judicial custody till Sep 24.
The Bombay High Court Tuesday granted bail of Rs.5,000 to Trivedi in a public suit filed by a lawyer Sanskar Marathe.
Trivedi Tuesday declined to be released until the sedition charge, slapped by Mumbai police on him, was withdrawn.
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi to be released Wednesday - Sep 12, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi gets bail, refuses freedom till charge dropped (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- SIT to investigate cartoonist Trivedi's case - Sep 13, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi gets bail, refuses to be freed till charges dropped (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Cartoonist Aseem Trivedi released (Second Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- I drew no wrong, I'm not sorry: Aseem Trivedi (Third lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Explain sedition charges against cartoonist, court tells police - Sep 14, 2012
- Current times worse than emergency: Advani - Sep 12, 2012
- Mahesh Bhatt supports Aseem, calls for freedom of art - Sep 12, 2012
- Press Council chief slams sedition charge against cartoonist - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist Trivedi's questioning cut short, sent to judicial custody (Second Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Cartoonist sent to judicial custody, government faces flak on issue (Roundup) - Sep 10, 2012
- Cannot target national symbols in cartoons: Government - Sep 10, 2012
- IAC demands cartoonist Aseem Trivedi's release - Sep 10, 2012
- Police cut short quizzing cartoonist Aseem Trivedi (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012