Art works of Border Security Force personnel to be soldMay 23rd, 2011 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Paintings and sculptures made by Border Security Force (BSF) personnel will be put up on display and for sale at the Lalit Kala Academy here May 25-29, an official said Monday.
Home Minister P. Chidambaram is expected to inaugurate the event called BSF Kala Mela (art fair).
BSF Director General Raman Srivastava said: “This is the first of its kind of mela organised by any paramilitary.”
“Through this, we want to encourage our people, who despite all the odds have pursued their passion and love for art,” Srivastava said.
The display will feature 360 works including oil paintings, thread paintings, thread craft, enamel paintings, soapstone carvings, clay paintings and pencil arts.
The art works have been made by high ranking officials, head constables, constables, cooks and widows of BSF personnel.
Srivastava said that 60 percent of the proceeds from the sales would be given to the artists, while the rest would be deposited in a welfare fund.
- A whiff of African heritage in capital's artscape (With Image) - Aug 13, 2011
- BSF should get best training, working conditions: Chidambaram - May 25, 2011
- Ramkinkar Baij colours Delhi's spring canvas (With Image) - Feb 09, 2012
- Selja inaugurates Calcutta Painters' show - Dec 15, 2011
- Sri Lankan temple paintings in Delhi - Mar 24, 2012
- Women's Day: Five women artists collaborate for exhibition - Mar 05, 2012
- India Art Summit spotlight on market, infrastructure - Jan 17, 2011
- Patrons to traders: Royal patronage to arts, crafts changing (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- BSF trooper dies three days after Bangladeshis' attack - Feb 07, 2012
- Colonial era family silver set for auction (With images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Fake modern Indian art market fattens on budget buyers (With Images) - Aug 06, 2012
- Chinese women artists in India with mega showcase - Dec 07, 2010
- US forges connect with India through green crafts - Apr 21, 2012
- 360 degree art spaces - the new buzzword in India (Feature) - Mar 31, 2012
- Painting dreams with a ballpen from a wheelchair - May 02, 2012
Tags: art fair, art works, border security force, bsf, clay paintings, constables, cooks, director general, home minister, kala, lalit kala academy, mela, oil paintings, p chidambaram, raman, soapstone carvings, srivastava, thread paintings, welfare fund, widows