Annual pilgrimage drives livelihood of locals in J-KJune 25th, 2008 - 8:47 pm ICT by ANI
Pahalgam (Jammu and Kashmir), June 25 (ANI): The annual pilgrimage to Amarnath Yatra undertaken by hundreds of thousands of Hindus from across the country in summer, comes as a boon for owners of mules and ponies, guides, taxi operators, shopkeepers and hoteliers in militancy hit Jammu and Kashmir to augment their incomes.
People living in Pahalgam, Chandanwari, Baltal and Sonamarg hill resorts enroute the holy cave shrine, wait eagerly every year for the two month long pilgrimage, as it is an important source of income for them.
Our business was good last year. This year also I am hoping that tourists will come in large numbers, which will increase business prospects even more, said Mohammed Altaf, a tent owner.
The residents are expecting good business as this year the ice stalagmite, seen as symbol of Lord Shiva, is in full length unlike last year.
As per the official estimates, about 187,000 pilgrims have already visited the cave shrine since the commencement of the pilgrimage on June17th.
The residents expect that the number of pilgrims visiting the cave shrine this year would far exceed the official estimates of 283,000 devotees.
Last year the pilgrimage was for two months and this year also they have fixed it for the same period. We are hoping for tourists to come in large numbers. Our entire business pony business, cars, shawls and everything else is dependent on tourism and the tourists are coming in large numbers this year, so it will be good for us, said Basharat Ahmad, a Hotel owner.
Hordes of pilgrims trek along a treacherous mountain track to the Amarnath shrine, located at an altitude of 3,800 metres (12,700 feet) deep in the Himalayas where they worship an ice stalagmite, seen as a symbol of Lord Shiva. (ANI)
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- Amarnath Yatra ends in J-K - Aug 24, 2010
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Over 200,000 pilgrims visit Amarnath Shrine - Jul 10, 2011
- Preparations begin for Amarnath pilgrimage - Mar 21, 2012
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Annual Amarnath Yatra ends peacefully - Aug 02, 2012
- Unregistered Amarnath pilgrims cause chaos - Jun 28, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Geelani wants reduction in duration of Amarnath yatra - Jun 19, 2010
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 20,000 head for shrine (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Annual Hindu pilgrimage of Amarnath to start June 25 - Feb 26, 2012
- Chopper fares slashed for Amarnath pilgrims - Apr 04, 2012
Tags: altaf, amarnath shrine, basharat, business cars, business prospects, devotees, himalayas, hindus, holy cave, hotel owner, hoteliers, jammu and kashmir, lord shiva, pahalgam, pilgrimage, pilgrims, shawls, sonamarg, taxi operators, yatra