Amarnath Yatra resumes todayJune 26th, 2008 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 26 (ANI): The Amarnath Yatra resumed today a day after it was suspended due to the heavy rush of devotees.
A fresh batch of 2, 906 pilgrims left for the Amarnath cave shrine from the Bhagwati Nagar base camp in Jammu.
According to official sources, the devotees, including 677 women and 118 children, left in a convoy of 88 vehicles at around 5:00 a.m.
The pilgrim’s cavalcade is expected to reach the base camps at Nunwan and Baltal in Kashmir by evening.
With today’s batch, as many as 22,957 pilgrims have left Jammu for the shrine. The first batch left on June 17.
Over 283,000 pilgrims have already reached the shrine.
The pilgrimage was suspended on Tuesday after a part of a glacier caved in at Sangam that links Pahalgam and Baltal.
The pilgrimage ends on August 16.
Security forces have been on a high alert along the entire pilgrimage route to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jun 19, 2009
- First batch of pilgrims to reach Amarnath Wednesday - Jun 29, 2011
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Amarnath yatra suspended for third consecutive day - Jun 18, 2009
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
- Amarnath pilgrimage resumes, 26,000 head for shrine - Jul 09, 2011
- Fresh batch of 2083 pilgrims leave for Amarnath - Jul 19, 2010
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- All set for Amarnath pilgrimage from June 29 - Jun 25, 2011
- 15,000 pilgrims start this year's Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, armed police, army deployments, base camps, bhagwati, cavalcade, convoy, crpf, devotees, feet above sea level, heavy rush, kashmir, pahalgam, pilgrim, pilgrimage route, pilgrims, sangam, security forces, security setup, yatra