Adolf Hitler’s painting on saleMarch 26th, 2009 - 4:40 pm ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Paintings by Adolf Hitler are to be sold by an auction house in Britain next month, the 13 paintings are mainly watercolours. One of a man sitting on a stone bridge appears to be a self-portrait.
Many of the works, painted by Hitler when he was a struggling artist in his 20s, are signed with his initials.
They were found in a garage about a month ago, said Richard Westwood-Brookes of auctioneers Mullock’s in Shropshire, a region of western England.
‘My vendor, who is a big collector of Second World War memorabilia, bought them from the guy who liberated them in 1945,’ he said.
‘He sold some of them years ago and at that time, he had them valued by an expert.
‘Believe it or not, he left the rest of them in his garage. He forgot about them and found them in his garage about a month or six weeks ago.’ The works go on sale on April 23 in the town of Ludlow.
In the past, paintings by Hitler have fetched huge sums - in 2006, 21 works sold in Britain for 118,000 pounds.
- Sketches of Hitler's artist who erased name from files post war up for grabs - Apr 04, 2011
- Stalin death mask goes on sale - Jan 24, 2012
- Tipu Sultan painting to be auctioned in Britain - Sep 05, 2012
- Stalin's death mask sold for 3,600 pounds - Jan 25, 2012
- Hitler's first self-portrait up for auction - Mar 26, 2009
- 30000 pounds for rare copy of Mein Kampf signed by Hitler - Apr 11, 2011
- British spy sang for Hitler with secret documents in her underwear - Sep 10, 2010
- Is Hitler 'self-portrait' fake? - May 10, 2009
- Sigmund Freud may have had Adolf Hitler painting - Feb 13, 2010
- Hitler's paintings to be auctioned in Sweden - Nov 08, 2011
- Mahatma Gandhi's glasses, prayer book up for auction - Apr 02, 2012
- For sale: Nude sketch by Adolf Hitler - Feb 27, 2010
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- 100-year-old picture of Hitler, Lenin playing chess emerges - Sep 04, 2009
- Hitler's signed autobiography to go on sale - Apr 11, 2011
Tags: adolf hitler, auction house, auctioneers, brookes, initials, mullock, painting, paintings, second world war, self portrait, shropshire, six weeks, stone bridge, sums, town of ludlow, war memorabilia, watercolours, western england, westwood