A Rare Blue Diamond Fetches a Record PriceMay 14th, 2009 - 12:33 am ICT by GD
A rare, flawless and a vividly blue diamond that weighed approximately 7.03 carats was sold on 12th May at a record 10.5 million Swiss francs(around 6.2 million pounds). According to the Sotheby’s this blue diamond now becomes the highest paid per carat gemstone at any auction.
The blue diamond with a rectangular shape has been by the rarest stone that has entered the international auction market this year. At the end of the auction the blue stone went to an anonymous buyer who was making his bids using the telephone after a hectic session of bidding between two of the unknown callers that lasted for a full and exciting 15 minutes.
After, the stone had been auctioned off for the record price of 6.2 million pounds, David Bennett, the conductor of the auction told the reporters, “This is already a new world record price for a fancy vivid blue diamond and a new world record per carat for any gemstone at an auction. ” He further added, “It is fantastic in this market and shows that these rare things are very much in demand.”
The blue diamond was discovered on 2008 in South Africa and since then it had been highly marked for its vividness both in terms of color and clarity. The rectangular cushioned shaped diamond, which is smaller than a dime, is one of the rarest and only a handful of these blue gemstones exists at present or has ever been found.
- Pink diamond sells for record 29 mn pounds - Nov 17, 2010
- Rare pink diamond sold for 29 million pounds - Nov 17, 2010
- Yellow 'Sun-Drop' diamond auctioned for $12.36 million - Nov 16, 2011
- Pink Diamond Auction Breaks World Record - Nov 17, 2010
- Fancy Intense Pink Diamond Sold At Whooping $46 million - Nov 18, 2010
- A unique diamond auction - Apr 21, 2009
- Uncommon Pink Diamond Auctioned For An Unparalleled Price Of Just Above $46 Million - Nov 17, 2010
- Jewellery auction market shows signs of recovery - Apr 15, 2010
- Sotheby's Auction Offers Rare Pink $38M Diamond - Oct 06, 2010
- Art, accessory auctions gather pace in India - Aug 18, 2010
- World record set for blue diamond at Swiss auction - May 13, 2009
- Zambian emeralds dazzle Indian buyers - Mar 22, 2011
- Rare Golconda diamonds on sale at Christie's - Apr 02, 2011
- Rare pink diamond could fetch up to $38 million at auction - Oct 07, 2010
- Taylor's pearl fetches record money - Dec 14, 2011
Tags: 15 minutes, 5 million, auction market, blue diamond, carat, carats, clarity, conductor, david bennett, gemstone, gemstones, handful, international auction, new world record, rectangular shape, sotheby s, south africa, swiss francs, vividness, world record price