A mass, a cremation…adieu Mario MirandaDecember 12th, 2011 - 2:51 pm ICT by IANS
Loutolim (Goa), Dec 12 (IANS) Goa bid a moving, teary farewell to acclaimed artist Mario Miranda, who was consigned to flames at a crematorium after a funeral mass at a church as he had wished.
The funeral mass at 9.30 a.m., which was also attended by several artistes and politicians from Goa, was held at the Saviour of the World Church in Loutolim, Miranda’s ancestral village.
After that his body was taken to the Hindu Mathgram crematorium, near Margao, 35 km from here, and consigned to the flames as per his wishes.
Chief Minister Digambar Kamat who was present during the funeral procession said although the artist was no more, Mario Miranda’s work was immortal.
“Whenever I want to see what Goa was earlier, I look up Mario Miranda’s works,” Kamat said, adding that Goa had lost one of its foremost sons.
Miranda’s immediate family, designer Wendell Rodricks, fado singer Sonia Sirsat, several local politicians and hundreds of well wishers joined the funeral and cremation proceedings.
The 85-year-old Padma Bhushan awardee died in his sleep at his home in Loutolim Sunday.
- No one quite like Mario, say Goan artists - Dec 12, 2011
- At 85, cartoonist Mario Miranda exits life's canvas - Dec 11, 2011
- Mario Miranda was a quintessential Goan: Shyam Benegal - Dec 11, 2011
- Compassionate man with wicked humour, say Mario's friends, fans - Dec 11, 2011
- Mario Miranda, a chronicler of his times (Obituary) - Dec 11, 2011
- NCP: Goa Congress cozying up to real estate lobby - Feb 23, 2012
- Wendell Rodricks protests against illegal mining, closes boutique - Sep 14, 2012
- Rodricks to judge best poster contest for queer film fest (With Image) - Mar 09, 2012
- Wendell Rodricks closes boutique to protest illegal mining - Sep 17, 2012
- Mario Miranda's favourite fort returns to life - Jun 05, 2012
- Goa beach jam sessions inspire Rodricks' new collection - Nov 02, 2011
- Goa tourism gives up hope on Wendell Rodricks' designs - Sep 06, 2011
- Goa needs special status to retain its identity: Wendell Rodricks - Nov 02, 2011
- Goa was birthplace of Indo-Western garments: Wendell Rodricks (Interview, With Image) - Jan 27, 2012
- Tearful farewell to murdered teacher - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: ancestral village, awardee, chief minister, cremation, crematorium, fado singer, flames, funeral mass, funeral procession, goa, hindu, immediate family, kamat, lost one, margao, miranda, saviour of the world, sonia, well wishers, wendell rodricks