A hotel where 5 kg gold is used yearly for decorationDecember 6th, 2010 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Abu Dhabi, Dec 6 (IANS) The two-day summit of the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) is being held at a hotel that cost $3 billion to build and where five kg of gold is used every year for decoration.
The Dec 6-7 summit is taking place at Emirates Palace, Abu Dhabi.
A mind-boggling 20,000 people worked three years to build the majestic and opulent hotel that has 1,002 chandeliers, the largest weighing 2.5 tonnes.
The hotel stretches one km from wing to wing and is spread over a total area of 100 hectares, said the hotel’s website.
Besides having a 1.3-km beach, there are 394 rooms and suites, with size ranging from 55 sqm to 680 sqm.
It’s ballroom has a guest capacity of 2,400 while the auditorium can seat 1,100.
That, however, is no match for its open air concert guest capacity of 20,000.
“Five kg of pure edible gold is used per year for decoration mainly on deserts,” the website said.
Nearly 200 tonnes of oranges are squeezed for fresh juice every year at the hotel.
That’s not all.
The daily laundry capacity is of six tonnes and the hotel employs 1,800 employees from 49 different countries.
To ensure that the hotel stands out as an architectural marvel, marble was imported from 13 countries across the world.
It’s expansive garden has 8,000 trees and there is a parking space for over 800 cars.
The icing on the cake - Emirates Palace offers the world’s most expensive one million dollar tailor-made suite holiday.
- Abu Dhabi hotel 'regrets' Christmas tree spending - Dec 20, 2010
- Over 1 mn guests stayed in Abu Dhabi hotels - Jul 27, 2012
- Emirates Palace christmas tree sets world record - May 12, 2011
- Czech envoy hails development of Abu Dhabi - Sep 29, 2011
- Heritage wing of Taj Mahal hotel reopens on Sunday in Mumbai - Aug 12, 2010
- Abu Dhabi to host cooking festival - Jan 22, 2011
- UAE Hotel erects $11m Christmas tree - Dec 17, 2010
- Terrorism on agenda as GCC summit opens in Abu Dhabi (Lead) - Dec 07, 2010
- ATMs Selling Gold Bars Coming To USA - Sep 28, 2010
- Now, ATM vending machine to sell souvenir gold bars - May 25, 2010
- Abu Dhabi among top tourist destinations: Expert - Aug 22, 2011
- German embassy to organise UAE filmmakers' visit - Jan 23, 2012
- Luxembourg opens embassy in UAE - Nov 22, 2011
- UAE to host debt management conference - May 09, 2011
- ATM Vending Machines That Sell Gold, To Be Installed In America - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: abu dhabi, chandeliers, deserts, edible gold, emirates palace, expansive garden, fresh juice, gcc, gulf cooperation council, hectares, icing on the cake, laundry, marble, match, one million, oranges, parking space, six nation, sqm, summit