A fashion show to mark 100 years of Bihar (With Image)March 27th, 2012 - 5:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 27 (IANS) Bihar-born designers Samant Chauhan and Arun Tiwari are set to mark 100 years of Bihar with a fashion show called “Silks of Bihar”.
Eco Tasar Silk Pvt Ltd, an organisation working on Tassar Silk, and Bihar State Small Industries Corp Ltd are organising the show April 1 at Talkatora Indoor Stadium here.
Bihar is known for tassar silk and traditional weaving skills. Eco Tasar is trying to promote this through the fashion show, said Khitish Pandya, managing director, Eco Tasar Pvt ltd.
“Bihar is a rich state known for its very old and revered handloom weaving centres of Bhagalpur, Nalanda and Bihar Sharif. Traditionally a lot of tassar silk gets woven in Bihar.
“We have been associated with the state since 2000. We are thankful to have artisans of Bihar working with us to keep the spirit of the silk tradition alive,” Pandya said in a statement.
“The government of Bihar has been kind to give us the opportunity and be a part of 100 years of Bihar Sthapna Divas,” he added.
The event will see Eco Tasar Silk Pvt Ltd showcasing their collection, which will be an eclectic blend of modern and traditional silk weaving. Ambapali, the Bihar emporium, will bring skilled artisans from Bihar.
Among the designers, Samant, a known name in the fashion industry for popularising khadi silk, will present a collection based on the theme of Victorian influence on Royal Rajasthani Gharana.
Arun will showcase designs inspired from peepal leaves.
Bihar was created March 22, 1912. This year Bihar completes 100 years of its existence.
- Rahul Mishra named best womenswear designer - May 08, 2012
- Handwoven Swarovski work dominates Akaaro's show - Feb 16, 2012
- International Woolmark prize comes to India, shortlists 10 designers - May 10, 2012
- Weavers' woes: Government packages pass them by (Feature) (with images) - Feb 26, 2012
- Bangalore's Fashion Week showcases glitz and glamour - Jul 25, 2009
- Tarun Tahiliani Bridal Couture to begin in Delhi July 8 (With Image) - Jun 15, 2011
- From huts to high streets: Khadi comes of age (Feature) - Sep 30, 2011
- New Puja wardrobe: Jeggings, maxis, gowns - Oct 04, 2011
- India inspired design on sale at Sotheby's - Feb 14, 2012
- Can Vidya's kanjeevaram look revive hand-woven saris? - Feb 16, 2012
- Poor Muslim women connect to global fashion with crafts (With Image) - Jun 03, 2012
- Designer Gaurang Shah teams with 250 weavers to revive handlooms (With Image) - Jun 24, 2012
- A bit of Kanjivaram, dollops of vintage clothes at WIFW (Curtain Raiser) - Apr 05, 2011
- Goa to showcase contemporary handicrafts - Apr 28, 2011
- Indian handicrafts get contemporary twist - Jul 20, 2011
Tags: 100 years, april 1, arun, corp ltd, eclectic blend, emporium, fashion industry, fashion show, gharana, government of bihar, handloom, khadi silk, managing director, nalanda, New Delhi, pvt ltd, rajasthani, showcase designs, skilled artisans, victorian influence