65 bikers roar off on Himalayan odysseyJune 23rd, 2012 - 4:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) The ninth Royal Enfield Himalayan Odyssey was flagged off here Saturday with 65 riders scheduled to cover 2,700 km over a period of 16 days before returning to Delhi.
The journey, with both Indian and foreign bikers participating, offers scenic yet adventurous off-road driving experiences through the picturesque landscape of Ladakh.
The riders assembled at the India Gate and sought the blessings of Buddhist monks who hold the spiritual thread of the Ladakh region.
“I am very excited for this trip. It is a challenge for me but I am sure that it will also turn out to be the most beautiful journey of my life,” 25-year-old Delhiite Himanshu Saluja, the youngest rider in the group, told IANS.
Agreed Guru Satya, 34, from Pune: “This is the first time I have participated in this journey and I am very excited. I am looking forward to drive through KhardungLa pass.”
According to the Venki Padmanabhan, chief executive of Royal Enflield, the two-week journey will take riders through the most beautiful, yet challenging, roads involving all terrain types, including rocks, mud, snow, rain and sand.
The ride tests the riders on physical and mental capabilities. According to Ramanathan, temperatures drop to as low as minus 30 degrees in certain parts and oxygen levels are extremely low.
- 'Himalayan Odyssey' bike rally kicks off from New Delhi - Jun 19, 2010
- 60 bikers rev off on Himalayan expedition - Jun 13, 2009
- Rajasthan, through a rider's goggles - Sep 04, 2009
- Under twinkling sky, bike through Rann of Kutch marshlands (IANS Travel) - Feb 17, 2010
- The men, their machines and the mountains - a Himalayan odyssey (With Images) - Jul 02, 2009
- Pack your bags, rev up bikes, India's northeast beckons (With Images) (IANS Travel) - Jul 18, 2010
- Himalayan Odyssey to kickoff Saturday - Jun 12, 2009
- Paraplegic motorist sets his sights on Himalayan terrain (Feature) - Sep 23, 2011
- In the mountains with a few good men and their bikes (First-Hand) - Jul 09, 2009
- Fancy driving from Delhi to Bangkok? Here's how! (With Images) - Sep 07, 2012
- Fast but not so furious - 'Bikernis' hit road (Feature, With Images) - Oct 20, 2011
- Delhi to Leh Himalayan bike rally flagged off in New Delhi - Jun 13, 2009
- Bikes revved up, they're set for Himalayan Odyssey - May 18, 2009
- Six-time 'Raid' winner in top gear again - Oct 10, 2011
- Bikers set out for Himalayan Odyssey - Jun 28, 2008
Tags: bikers, blessings, buddhist monks, driving experiences, guru, himalayan odyssey, himanshu, india gate, june 23, ladakh region, mental capabilities, New Delhi, oxygen levels, picturesque landscape, pune, roar, royal enfield, spiritual thread, terrain types, venki