2,883 pilgrims leave for Amarnath shrineJune 23rd, 2008 - 5:00 pm ICT by ANI
Jammu, June 23 (ANI): A fresh batch of 2,883 pilgrims left for the Amarnath cave shrine here today.
According to official sources, the devotees, including more than 178 hermits, left in a convoy of 112 vehicles from the base camp at Bhagwati Nagar early this morning.
The pilgrimage was suspended on June 20 due to bad weather.
The total number of pilgrims who left the base camp for shrine has reached 17,636 since it began on June 17.
The two-month long yatra will conclude on August 16.
Security forces have been on a high alert along the entire route of the Amarnath yatra to ensure the safety of the pilgrims.
The security setup consists of area domination and setting up of mountain posts by Army, deployments of CRPF and mobile patrolling by armed police.
Every year, a large number of devotees trek the steep, slippery 48-kilometres route to reach the Amarnath cave shrine, which stands at a height of nearly 12,500 feet above sea level. (ANI)
- Around 500,000 perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 16, 2012
- 12,000 pilgrims arrive for Amarnath Yatra - Jun 24, 2012
- Heavy rain disrupts Amarnath pilgrim's movement - Jun 25, 2012
- Bad weather halts Amarnath pilgrimage (Lead) - Jul 01, 2011
- Thousands trek to Amarnath cave for prayers (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Snow hits Amarnath Yatra preparations in Kashmir - Jun 14, 2012
- Amarnath yatra resumes from Jammu - Jul 30, 2010
- Amarnath yatra begins - Jun 28, 2011
- Thousands reach Kashmir base camps for Amarnath Yatra (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- Annual Amarnath yatra begins (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- 100 post offices to register for Amarnath yatra: SASB - Apr 30, 2012
- Pilgrims cannot start Amarnath Yatra before June 25 - Jun 23, 2012
- Thick snow cover posing new risk to Amarnath pilgrims - Jun 22, 2012
- 600,000 pilgrims perform Amarnath Yatra - Jul 25, 2011
- Bad weather halts Amarnath Yatra (Lead) - Jul 03, 2011
Tags: amarnath cave, amarnath yatra, armed police, army deployments, bad weather, convoy, crpf, devotees, domination, feet above sea level, hermits, june 23, kilometres, pilgrimage, pilgrims, security forces, security setup, trek