25,000 tubes of Burt’s Bees lip balm link detailsMay 29th, 2009 - 12:14 am ICT by John Le Fevre
Burt’s Bees, a low-tech lip balm manufacturer in North Carolina, is bucking the recession and not only hiring staff, but also giving away 25,000 tubes of their product to celebrate the company’s 25th anniversary.
While logic suggests that in a time of recession and rising unemployment one of the first things to get cut from the family budget will be boutique lip balms, hand creams and shampoos that cost double competitors’ brands, Burt’s Bees is finding the opposite to be true.
It seems the company’s use of natural ingredients is a hit with consumers, with the company experiencing a 25 per cent per year compounding growth since it commenced business 25 years ago.
Founded by a reclusive beekeeper and a single mother, Burt’s Bees went natural before natural was hip, and started producing specialty personal-care products before such items went mainstream.
Chief executive John Replogle put the company’s success down to the tough economic climate itself, saying “it’s the small luxuries, the small indulgences, that people are reluctant to trade off.”
Burt’s Bees products cost more than competitors’ because making natural products costs more, Replogle said. As an example, a tube of Burt’s Bees lip balm sells for $US2.99 at a Durham Target store, versus $US0.99 for a tube of ChapStick.
To celebrate it’s 25th anniversary the company is giving away 1,000 of its Beeswax Lip Balm, Honey Lip Balm, or Replenishing Pomegranate Lip Balm from now until June 20.
To register for your free Burt’s Bees tube of balm, click on the link: http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GiveawayView?catalogId=10051&storeId=10001&langId=-1
- Kendrick obsessed with chapsticks - May 24, 2012
- Kevin Bacon- the Bacon Bust for the highest bidder on eBay - Oct 02, 2010
- Bugs help make eco-friendly detergents - Mar 11, 2012
- The Body Shop cuts prices, reaps dividends in India - Apr 13, 2010
- Women-driven natural cosmetics finds growing takers - Jul 25, 2010
- US Stores Compete For Best Black Friday Ads 2010 - Nov 25, 2010
- HMV to close 60 stores - Jan 05, 2011
- Exposure to bodycare products linked to childhood obesity - Jan 21, 2012
- Zandu Balm Unites Jr NTR And Suriya With Munni - Dec 14, 2010
- J.C. Penney to eliminate thousands of jobs - Jan 24, 2012
- Makers to be forced to recall energy inefficient products - May 23, 2012
- Emami to open plants in Bangladesh and Egypt - Jul 06, 2012
- Coming soon: a reusable, floating venue for Olympics! - Apr 17, 2011
- California porn film industry refuses to play ball with health officials - Apr 17, 2011
- 'Bacon Kevin Bacon' bust up for auction on eBay - Oct 03, 2010
Tags: 25th anniversary, beekeeper, bees, beeswax, chapstick, chief executive, economic climate, family budget, john replogle, link details, lip balm, luxuries, natural ingredients, personal care products, recession, shampoos, single mother, small indulgences, target store, us2