250 Indian magicians to show off their skills in capitalJune 22nd, 2011 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) More than 250 magicians from across the country will converge upon the capital to perform their feats at the International Merlin Awards night Thursday.
The awards ceremony, being held in India for the first time to honour an Indian, will be graced by Union ministers Vayalar Ravi, K.V. Thomas and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Magician and illusionist Gopinath Muthukad, a young performer from Kerala, will be honoured with the prestigious award by the International Magicians’ Society for taking traditional Indian magic to the world and campaigning for a better society with his art, a statement said Wednesday.
A 45-minute showcase will show off the best of Indian magic and illusion.
The show will feature magicians like Mhelly Bhumgara, Zenia, Samir Patel, Aanchal, Vikas Sharma and Ramayashree - all of whom have made their mark on the international stage. Besides, street performers and jugglers dressed in their attire will attend the ceremony and interact with the audience.
The awards ceremony will be hosted by “MAZMA-Society for Uplifting Traditional Magic and Performing Arts”.
“The Merlin Award ceremony is happening in India for the first time and to be honoured with this award in the presence of 250 fellow magicians makes me feel extremely humble. I hope this goes a long way in promoting young India to take up magic and spread its aura among the audience,” magician Gopinath Muthukad said.
MAZMA aims to rejuvenate traditional Indian magic like the Indian Rope Trick, Indian Basket Trick, Indian Mango Trick, Water of India, and Dancing Duck of India, which are fast becoming lost art.
- Indian wins magicians' 'Oscar' - Jun 04, 2011
- Magic can predict future, spread social messages: Indian magician (With Image) - Jun 10, 2011
- Kerala to host first festival of female magicians - May 24, 2010
- Franz Harary's magic coming soon at Kingdom of Dreams? - Dec 14, 2010
- Festival brings Iran, Afghan puppet traditions to India (With Images) - Feb 02, 2012
- Flowers in filth: Capital's forgotten street performers (Feature) - Sep 11, 2011
- Global children performing arts fest begins in Delhi - Dec 08, 2011
- Salman's 'Dabangg' sweeps Apsara Awards - Jan 12, 2011
- Indian Television: Set To Revive Magic In 2011 - Jan 07, 2011
- TV or live shows - it's magic everywhere! - Jan 06, 2011
- Franz Harary To Appear In 'India's Magic Star' - Jul 16, 2010
- There is a magician in everybody's heart: P C Sorcar Jr (interview) - Apr 01, 2012
- Lifetime achievement award for Tibetan opera artist - Oct 16, 2011
- Performance art may be slogan of future - Feb 25, 2012
- India's rich cultural canvas forms an important part of global cultural heritage: President Patil - Sep 28, 2010
Tags: aanchal, awards night, fellow magicians, gopinath, illusionist, indian basket, indian magic, indian rope trick, international magicians society, international stage, jugglers, magic and illusion, minute showcase, samir patel, sheila dikshit, street performers, trick water, union ministers, vayalar ravi, vikas sharma