25 million Facebook users in IndiaApril 28th, 2011 - 7:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 28 (IANS) The number of Facebook users in India has crossed the 25-million base mark, the social networking site said Thursday.
“Facebook currently has 25 million users in India,” said David Fischer, vice president advertising and global operations, Facebook at an interactive advertising and digital marketing exibition, Ad-tech here.
Facebook has almost become the most popular for active interent users in the recent past in India, leaving behind other social networking sites such as Orkut and Twitter.
“We are also looking forward to building strong relationship with India’s strong network of developers and entrepreneurs who are increasingly harnessing Facebook to create unique sharing experiences on the social web,” said the company.
The 25-million and growing Facebook users in India range from business people and students to public figures and institutions, including Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, the Delhi Traffic Police and bollywood perfectionist Aamir Khan.
From January, Municipal Corporation of Delhi has also started using Facebook for users to post problems for immediate action on areas like sanitation and garbage cleaning.
India has over 100 million users. Though the figure is hardly 10 percent of the total Indian population of 1.21 billion, it still puts India at the number three position in the world largest internet users list.
- 'India has world's youngest internet population' - Feb 24, 2012
- Facebook: India is second fastest growing market - Feb 05, 2012
- Indian businesses look to reap bounty from social networking - Nov 25, 2010
- Facebook sees India among key growth areas - Feb 03, 2012
- Facebook May Dethrone Orkut In India? - Aug 19, 2010
- Orkut Gets Flooded With Bom Sabado Scrap - Sep 25, 2010
- Issue summons to Facebook through e-mail: Court - Apr 18, 2012
- Facebook: The new battlefield in Bengal politics - Jul 22, 2012
- Web content case: No relief to Facebook India (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Mark Zuckerberg sued by Facebook investors - Jun 05, 2012
- Objectionable content case: Hearing put off till May 23 - Mar 13, 2012
- Court reserves order on Facebook India's plea - May 14, 2012
- Facebook makes money from user's data - Apr 17, 2011
- India spurs Facebook growth; 83 mn fake users worldwide - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: 100 million, aamir khan, bollywood, david fischer, digital marketing, facebook, finance minister, global operations, indian population, interactive advertising, internet users, municipal corporation of delhi, New Delhi, orkut, pranab mukherjee, sanitation, social networking site, social networking sites, social web, traffic police