20 pct teens sexually active in Chinese city of GuangzhouAugust 1st, 2009 - 3:16 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 1 (ANI): Almost 20 percent of polytechnic students in the Chinese city of Guangzhou are sexually active, according to a recent survey.
Conducted by Guangzhou Youth League School, the poll found that about 17 percent of the polytechnic students in Guangzhou, aged 15 to 18, have had a sexual experience, and 8 percent of those females have been pregnant at least once.
The survey was conducted on 500 students in three polytechnic schools in downtown Guangzhou, reports the China Daily.
“Polytechnic students don’t need to prepare for the cut-throat college entrance examination as other high school students do. I think the ratio of the students who have a sexual experience in polytechnics must be higher than other high schools,” said Zuo Bin, a teacher with Guangzhou Youth League School and also the organizer of the survey.
He claimed that the students who had had sexual experiences were mostly those whose parents were divorced or too busy to take good care of their children.
A large number of female students have sex to show their affection for their boyfriends and most of them do not use any contraception, which leads to a high rate of pregnancy among the female students who have had sexual experiences.
Many obstetric doctors in Guangzhou advocate Zuo’s viewpoint and have said that the number of teenage abortions in the city are rising day by day. (ANI)
- 40 percent Indians embarrassed to ask for contraceptives - Sep 26, 2011
- Chinese students don't know much about safe sex - Nov 14, 2011
- Abortion still taboo in Pakistan - Jan 16, 2012
- Chinese college students unaware about safe sex - Oct 30, 2010
- One-third of Italian youth have unsatisfied sex - Feb 11, 2011
- Unsafe sex common among Chinese college students: Study - Oct 30, 2010
- Chinese youth reluctant to wed before buying home - Jun 05, 2011
- Sexting teenagers more likely to have sex - Jul 04, 2012
- Chinese teenage helpline swamped with sex queries - Dec 05, 2010
- More than 40,000 Chinese have misconceptions over use of contraception - Sep 17, 2010
- The Pill could put women off sex - May 04, 2010
- Chinese concerned at TV's negative effects - Feb 25, 2012
- Cambridge U students clueless about unsafe sex? - Nov 05, 2011
- One of two students struck by same bullet in LA school in critical state - Jan 19, 2011
- Girls in China to be taught how to resist 'sugar daddies' - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: affection, boyfriends, china daily, chinese city, city of guangzhou, college entrance examination, contraception, cut throat, female students, females, high school students, high schools, New Delhi, pct, polytechnic schools, polytechnic students, sexual experience, sexual experiences, teenage abortions, viewpoint