16th century Mumbai museum manuscript to be restoredJanuary 19th, 2012 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Jan 18 (IANS) A 16th century illustrated manuscript in a Mumbai museum will be restored with funds from Bank of America through its conservation project, officials said here Wednesday.
The Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, Mumbai, (CSMVS Museum) will receive vital funding for the conservation of Anvar-i Suhayli, a 16th-century illustrated manuscript with a compilation of delightful fables from the Panchatantra.
“In these economically-challenged times, and as art conservation consumes ever greater portions of museum budgets, the need for private arts funding has become even more critical. We are proud of our 140-year presence in India and appreciate the opportunity to partner with CSMVS, Mumbai, to preserve this cherished piece of Indian history,” said Kaku Nakhate, country head India, Bank of America.
The manuscript dates back to Emperor Akbar’s atelier in the early Mughal miniature style and carries an A++ grading, the highest grading available that positions it as an artwork of unique national importance.
“In my knowledge, this is among the first instances of a bank adopting a work of art for conservation in a museum in India,” said Sabyasachi Mukherjee, director of the museum.
The project in India will be jointly led by museum’s senior curator Vandana Prapanna and head of art conservation Anupam Sah.
- Australia, Visva-Bharati to collaborate on Tagore Museum - Mar 15, 2011
- Selja opens Britain-aided museum staff training programme - Jan 09, 2012
- National School of Drama to get regional centres - Mar 01, 2011
- Working on leads on fake varsities: US official - Aug 11, 2011
- Gilani gets to see ancestor's manuscripts in Qatar - Feb 08, 2012
- World's 1st major exhibition on Hindu Lord Vishnu premiered at Nashville in USA - Feb 21, 2011
- Wikipedia plans various initiatives in India - Nov 18, 2011
- World's oldest illustrated Christian manuscript found in Ethiopian monastery - Jul 06, 2010
- A treat, says Hillary after Victoria Memorial visit - May 06, 2012
- US museum acquires rare 18th-century legend scroll from Andhra Pradesh - Dec 29, 2009
- Chanda Kochhar tops India's powerful businesswomen's list (Lead) - Nov 08, 2011
- Indophile, writer, collector Lance Dane passes away (With Images) - May 16, 2012
- NGMA gets a new parallel address on Google Art Project - Apr 10, 2012
- Bengal famine revisited - through an artist's works - Jul 07, 2011
- Restoring pieces of history - Adi Granth to Tagore portrait (Feature) - Sep 23, 2010
Tags: 16th century, anvar, art conservation, atelier, bank of america, budgets, chhatrapati shivaji, compilation, conservation project, curator, emperor akbar, fables, india bank, indian history, instances, manuscript, panchatantra, project officials, shivaji maharaj, work of art