100,000 fake certificates found in BiharJanuary 8th, 2009 - 5:27 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 8 (IANS) Over 100,000 fake certificates of various Indian universities have been found in a Bihar town, police said Thursday, even as the government cracks down on irregularities in the education system.Acting on a tip off, a police team raided five places in Biharsharif town in Nalanda district, 100 km from here, and unearthed the racket in fake certificates. It involved three people, including a man and his father-in-law, police said.
More than 100,000 fake certificates and thousands of incomplete ones were found, a police official in Biharsharif told IANS on telephone.
The false certificates recovered pertained to the Bihar Sanskrit Education Board, Patna; Hindi Vidyapeeth, Deoghar; and Hindi Sahitya Sammelan, Allahabad, among other universities across the country, police said.
Rubber stamps, two computer systems, scanners and other items were also seized.
Only two days ago, the Bihar government had rejected more than four million applications to check a fake degree racket and other irregularities during a teacher recruitment drive for government-run schools.
About 9,000 recruitment centres across the state had received more than 10 million applications for 93,000 teaching posts in the second phase of recruitment.
The absence of industries and other business opportunities forces young men and women in Bihar to apply for jobs in government-run schools and also resort to fake certificates.
Last month, the state government had blacklisted 75 B.Ed institutions in India and Nepal to check irregularities in the appointment of school teachers.
In December, the government sacked 15,000 teachers for submitting fake degrees and certificates. The sacked teachers had been appointed last year as part of the first phase of the recruitment drive.
- Andhra police drive reveals 40 fake degrees from Bihar - Aug 09, 2011
- Bihar axes appointment of 11 school teachers - May 30, 2012
- 151 Bihar primary teachers fail test, sacked - Apr 19, 2012
- Bihar man attempts self-immolation during chief minister's meet - Feb 20, 2009
- Bihar sacks 15,000 teachers for faking degrees - Dec 26, 2008
- Bihar rejects 4 mn applications to check fake degree racket - Jan 07, 2009
- Bihar withholds pay of 300 teachers for fake admissions - Jan 14, 2012
- Bihar blacklists 75 B.Ed institutions - Dec 16, 2008
- Nitish orders inquiry into fake school admission - Jan 13, 2012
- Fake degree racket busted - May 21, 2011
- Fake currency unit busted in Bihar - Apr 26, 2011
- Delhi government plans to hire 1,000 Urdu teachers - Jul 09, 2012
- Fake degree racket busted, two held - Jun 24, 2011
- Bihar to appoint 50,000 police officials - Dec 13, 2010
- Woman arrested with fake stamps - May 29, 2012