007 creator Ian Fleming recommended appeasing HitlerJune 15th, 2008 - 1:43 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 15 (ANI): Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, favoured appeasing Adolf Hitler’s Nazi regime a year before the start of the Second World War.
Fleming, then a stockbroker, dismissed those urging war with Hitler as the slaughterhouse brigade in a letter, which is thought to have been stored unseen for decades.
He believed a deal could be done with the future tyrant, which would allow Germany to return to its pre-war strength in exchange for a strict disarmament pact.
The letter was published on September 28, 1938, as the nation waited to hear the outcome of Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain’s meeting with Hitler in Munich.
Fleming argued that if Hitler’s territorial ambitions were limited to the aims he outlined in February 1920, then Britain should step back from war.
Three of those aims were: uniting a greater Germany of German peoples; repealing the Versailles treaty; and obtaining further territory to allow Germany’s “surplus” population to emigrate.
“There will be no peace, no return of prosperity, and no happiness in Europe until England and France agree to the fulfillment of Herr Hitler’s stated programme in exchange for a binding a disarmament pact, the Telegraph quoted Fleming, as writing in the letter. (ANI)
- 'Dear Uncle Adolf': documentary details fan letters sent to Hitler - Apr 26, 2010
- Wanting to fight Nazis, Hitler's nephew wrote to Roosevelt - Aug 02, 2012
- Hitler called you arsehole, prime minister: MI5 to Chamberlain - Oct 05, 2009
- Churchill's relationship with royalty in 'King's Speech' at odds with history - Jan 18, 2011
- Hitler once spared the life of a Jew - his ex-officer - Jul 06, 2012
- Germany to clear World War I reparations - Sep 29, 2010
- 1919 hate-filled letter by Hitler unveiled - Jun 08, 2011
- How a dead tramp fooled Hitler as part of 'Operation Mincemeat' - Dec 05, 2010
- Austrian city strips Hitler of its honorary citizenship - May 25, 2011
- A Bollywood first - film about Hitler and Nazi Germany - Jun 08, 2010
- Nehru's 1938 rebuff to Nazis to be sold in Britain - Nov 11, 2011
- Meet the goldfish that looks a lot like Hitler! - Mar 22, 2011
- Rare Hitler colour photos found - Jan 12, 2012
- Film on Hitler to hit screens July 29 (With Images) - Jul 02, 2011
- A Bollywood first - film about Hitler and Nazi Germany (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: adolf hitler, creator ian fleming, disarmament, favoured, german peoples, herr hitler, ian fleming, james bond, munich, nazi regime, neville chamberlain, pact, prosperity, second world war, stockbroker, surplus population, territorial ambitions, tyrant, versailles treaty, war strength