Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfallSeptember 3rd, 2011 - 3:03 am ICT by BNO News
MUMBAI (BNO NEWS) — An Airbus 340 belonging to Turkish Airlines skidded off the runway at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport in Mumbai on early Friday morning, the airline said. Heavy rainfall is being blamed as the cause.
The incident happened at around 4.15 a.m. local time when Turkish Airlines flight 720 from Istanbul was attempting to land on the main runway of Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, which is South Asia’s second busiest airport in term of passenger traffic.
Officials said the Airbus 340, which was carrying 104 passengers and 11 crew members, was landing during heavy rainfall, causing it to skid off the runway. “The passengers and the crew were immediately evacuated and no injuries [were] reported,” a spokesperson for the airline said in a statement.
Turkish Airlines blamed the heavy rainfall as the cause of the incident, but said an investigation is underway. “The necessary analysis and research is being done in collaboration with the local civil aviation authorities,” the statement said, adding that a new aircraft had been called in to take care of the return flight.
On early Monday morning, Gulf Air flight 270, an Airbus 320, skidded off the runway while attempting to land at Cochin International Airport, which is located about 25 kilometers (16 miles) north of the major port city of Kochi in southwest India. Three people were injured during as a result of the incident, which Gulf Air also blamed on heavy rainfall.
- Gulf Air passenger plane skids off runway in southwest India - Aug 29, 2011
- Turkish Airlines plane skids; Mumbai airport shut till Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai airport main runway shut till 11 p.m. Saturday - Sep 03, 2011
- Mumbai airport's main runway not yet functional - Sep 04, 2011
- Spicejet flight makes emergency landing - Sep 03, 2011
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
- Plane removed, operations resume at Mumbai airport runway - Sep 05, 2011
- Gulf Air flight makes emergency landing in Mumbai, all aboard safe - Nov 11, 2009
- Spicejet flight makes precautionary landing - Apr 13, 2012
- Herculean efforts on at Mumbai to move stuck aircraft - Sep 03, 2011
- Air India flight turbulence leaves passengers injured, probe ordered - Jul 26, 2012
- Emirates flight makes emergency landing in Mumbai - Jul 27, 2011
- Air India flight skids off runway in Kanpur - Jul 20, 2011
- Kingfisher aircraft skids at Mumbai runway, probe ordered (Lead) - Nov 10, 2009
- Mumbai Airport to close for reconstruction work - Feb 25, 2012
Tags: airbus 320, airbus 340, airlines flight, busiest airport, civil aviation authorities, cochin international airport, crew members, early monday morning, gulf air, gulf air flight, kochi, new aircraft, passenger traffic, rainfall, return flight, South Asia, southwest india, traffic officials, turkish airlines, turkish airways