Report: Helicopter carrying 23 people crashes in northeast IndiaApril 19th, 2011 - 6:36 pm ICT by BNO News
TAWANG, INDIA (BNO NEWS) — A Pawan Hans helicopter carrying more than 20 people crashed in far northeastern India on Tuesday afternoon, local media reported.
The accident happened at around 2 p.m. local time when the Pawan Hans helicopter crashed into a gorge while landing in Tawang, a small town in the northwestern part of Arunachal Pradesh state. Few details were immediately available.
CNN-IBN reported that at least five people had been killed in the accident, and that the Indian Army has launched a rescue operation. The fate of the others on board, which include five crew members and two children, was not immediately known.
The helicopter had reportedly taken off from the eastern city of Guwahati at around 1.15 p.m. local time. It belongs to Pawan Hans Helicopters Limited, which provides helicopter services in India.
- Plane crashes into homes near New Delhi, 10 killed - May 26, 2011
- Helicopter with 23 aboard crashes in Arunachal Pradesh (Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Helicopter crashes at Tawang - Apr 19, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM on board Pawan Hans chopper goes missing - Apr 30, 2011
- Committee of inquiry set up into Tawang chopper crash - Apr 23, 2011
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister still missing (Third Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- 17 killed in Arunachal chopper crash, six survive (Fourth Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- Arunachal MP welcomes setting up of committee to probe Tawang crash - Apr 24, 2011
- Two-member team starts probe into chopper crash - Apr 20, 2011
- Five killed in Tawang helicopter crash - Apr 19, 2011
- 17 killed in Arunachal chopper crash in (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- 17 die in Arunachal chopper crash (Third Lead) - Apr 19, 2011
- 12 killed in Indian Air Force helicopter crash - Nov 19, 2010
- Search for Arunachal chief minister narrows down (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Concrete details of missing chopper by evening: Mukul Wasnik (Lead) - May 03, 2011
Tags: bno, cnn, cnn ibn, crashes, crew members, fate, guwahati, helicopter services, indian army, local media, local time, northeast india, northeastern india, pawan hans helicopter, pawan hans helicopters, tawang, tuesday afternoon