NCW condemns Mangalore pub violationJanuary 27th, 2009 - 2:19 pm ICT by Bupha Ravirot
Seventeen activists of Sri Ram Sene, have been arrested relating to the assault on youngsters in a pub in Mangalore on Saturday night.
National Commission for Women (NCW) on Monday condemned the attack on women in a pub in Karnataka’s coastal city of Mangalore by a self-styled moral brigade called Sri Rama Sene. They accused those women guests of behaving in an “obscene manner” and beaten them up. They also attacked some male customers, besides damaging property.
Meeting between NCW and DGP Karnataka will be hold further to probe the case. Nirmala Venkatesh, member in-charge of South India, stated that it was violation of a woman’s individuality and freedom. She said the existing Section 354 IPC needs an amendment.
“The section outraging a woman’s modesty needs to be amended. There should be a more stringent punishment than just two years’ imprisonment and instead of being a bailable offense with some fine, the offense should be made non-bailable… so that there is stronger deterrent and hooligans don’t get off the hook that easily” said Nirmala Venkatesh.
Chairperson of Delhi Commission for Women, Barkha Singh, also condemned the attack on the girls. “This is a violation of individual freedom. Who are they to stop girls on the grounds of culture? Nobody has a right to behave as culture police. It should be taken seriously and culprits should be punished severely,” she said.
- Women's rights activists condemn assault on Mangalore girls - Jan 25, 2009
- Prashant Bhsuhan bashed up, one attacker held (Roundup) - Oct 13, 2011
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- NCW member gets notice over Mangalore pub probe - Feb 06, 2009
- Prashant Bhushan attacked, one held - Oct 12, 2011
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- NCW, ministry reject member's report on Mangalore pub attack (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2009
- Mangalore pub's licence should be cancelled: NCW - Jan 31, 2009
- NCW member sacked over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Renuka Chowdhury sacks NCW member over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhury sends team to probe Mangalore pub incident - Feb 01, 2009
- Women commission rejects member's report on Mangalore attack - Feb 06, 2009
Tags: activists, barkha, chairperson, coastal city, culprits, delhi commission, dgp, imprisonment, individual freedom, individuality, ipc, karnataka, male customers, modesty, sene, south india, sri ram, sri rama, those women, youngsters