Indian police arrest two alleged Pakistani spiesDecember 14th, 2011 - 4:47 pm ICT by BNO News
NEW DELHI (BNO NEWS) — Indian police arrested two Pakistani nationals earlier this month on suspicion of spying for the Pakistani intelligence services, local media reported on Wednesday.
The two Pakistanis, one man and one woman, were arrested on December 5 at the New Delhi Railway Station after arriving there from the town of Gorakhpur on the India-Nepal border. The suspects were identified as Imran, 40, and Soofia Kanwal, 38, both from Karachi.
“The two were arrested on a tip-off. They said they had entered India through the Indo-Nepal border,” deputy police commissioner Ashok Chand told the Hindustan Times.
Imran reportedly told police that he was born in the western Indian city of Ahmedabad, but had migrated to Pakistan in 1988 where he acquired citizenship. After his company incurred huge losses in 2007-2008, Pakistani intelligence agencies approached him and said they would pay him if he worked for them, according to Chand.
“In March 2011, they told him that he would have to go to India and settle a woman as a resident agent there,” Chand told the newspaper.
Police sources said Imran was looking for a safe hideout in Agra and was in touch with someone. “They have a marriage certificate, which would have helped them get a rented accommodation. We are looking for their third associate, who is in Agra,” a senior officer said on the condition of anonymity.
The two were remanded in custody for at least 14 days as an investigation continues.
- Two Pakistani agents arrested in Delhi: Police - Dec 12, 2011
- Pakistani gets bail to prove innocence - Mar 20, 2012
- Pakistani granted bail - Apr 09, 2012
- 'Pakistani' submits documents to prove innocence - Mar 23, 2012
- Pakistani spy held in Delhi with secret defence papers (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2012
- China seeks fair trial of its citizens held in India - Jan 20, 2011
- Indian fake currency gangs chose Nepal star-hotel for deals - May 06, 2011
- Suspected Pakistani spy held in Bihar - Aug 02, 2011
- Indian held with crude bombs in Nepal - Jan 12, 2011
- 10 missing girl students found pushed into flesh trade - Aug 04, 2012
- Police rescue 25 minor girls from Bihar fair - Feb 14, 2012
- Two Nepali women held with drugs - Dec 14, 2010
- Polish woman held with fake visa - Jan 09, 2012
- Four held for selling fake, dud medicines - Jun 15, 2011
- Three Chinese held for crossing into India - Jan 19, 2011
Tags: agra, ashok, bno, chand, deputy police commissioner, gorakhpur, hindustan times, imran, indian police, indo nepal, intelligence services, marriage certificate, pakistani intelligence agencies, pakistani nationals, pakistanis, police arrest, police sources, railway station, rented accommodation, resident agent