India Heatwave Scorches The Country, Casualties Shoot UpJune 1st, 2010 - 6:30 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
New Delhi, India, June 1, (THAINDIAN NEWS) An extreme heat wave that is scorching northern India in recent times is taking its toll on the residents and the casualties are increasing each day. In some places in North India the temperature is shooting up to 50 degrees Celsius. The heat has caused 300 deaths so far. The weather experts have said that this heat wave is likely to continue for some more time. Even the states in West part of India like Gujarat and Maharashtra are suffering from this killer heat wave. The surprising thing is that a place like Simla, known for its cool climate, is also feeling the heat and the maximum temperature there has reached an abysmal 32.4 degree Celsius.
It is not only the residents of the North Indian states who are suffering in this heat. The livestock and animals are also at the receiving end. Owing to the soaring temperature in these places a lot of lakes and rivers have dried up, making drinking water inaccessible to many. The highest temperature may touch an alarming 50 degree Celsius mark according to the experts. A lot of birds are also dying because of dehydration. The farmers are desperately praying for rain not only for relief but also for the sake of the crop.
The north Indian states will witness the monsoon only by the end of this month and this makes the wait for the rain even more agonizing. The capital of India has witnessed some scattered incidents of rainfall and storms bringing some relief. The usage of ACs and coolers has also added to power cut in some places.
- Delhi enjoys pleasant weather, more rain likely (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- 42 killed in Uttar Pradesh storms, rains cool north India (Roundup) - May 21, 2011
- Heat wave strikes Odisha, toll rises to 19 (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Delhi to have cooler Thursday, rains likely in some parts - Jul 05, 2012
- Heat wave continues to grip India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Heat death toll in Odisha climbs to 21 - May 29, 2012
- Delhi enjoys pleasant weather, rain expected (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Summer heat killing bats? - May 27, 2012
- No respite from heat wave in Odisha - May 26, 2012
- Nippy Thursday across north India (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2012
- Heat wave in Odisha, Titilagarh sizzles at 45 degrees - May 16, 2012
- Some respite from chill, train services still fog-hit (Roundup) - Dec 21, 2011
- Thunderstorm cools Delhi after scorching heat (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- At 46.7 degrees, Odisha bakes in blistering heat - May 25, 2012
- Temperatures cross 45 degrees in five Odisha towns - May 18, 2012
Tags: acs, capital of india, casualties, coolers, degree celsius, dehydration, extreme heat, gujarat, heatwave, indian states, killer heat wave, lakes and rivers, maharashtra, maximum temperature, monsoon, new delhi india, north india, northern india, simla, weather experts