India Floods Cause School Building Collapse, 18 Children KilledAugust 18th, 2010 - 8:09 pm ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Aug 18 (THAINDIAN NEWS) As the heavy monsoon rains of India cause devastating floods which have seriously disrupted the lives of those living in the northern state of Uttarakhand, at least eighteen children were killed by a school building which had collapsed in the mountain area, and rescuers are still searching for more.
A mudslide which was triggered by the heavy downpours demolished the single story building from which only eight children have been rescued. At least ten other children as well as teachers are still believed to be buried under the rubble, and at least eighteen children, between the ages of six and thirteen are confirmed dead.
Rescue operations are still underway at the school, which was located in the remote village of Sumgarh. Piyush Rautele, the head of the disaster management team of Uttarakand told the BBC “We have brought out the bodies of 18 children and a search is on for more.”
He added that “there might be more people, teachers and others, trapped under the debris.” The incident took place in the Bageshwar district, located about 256 miles, or 412 km from the state’s capital of Dehradun.
One hundred and eighty five people were killed earlier in the month when similar rains occurred in the northern region of Ladakh. There are still four hundred missing from that tragedy. The monsoon season normally does not occur until October.
- Roof collapse in northern Pakistan kills 5, injures 3 - Sep 05, 2012
- 18 children killed as Uttarakhand school building collapses - Aug 18, 2010
- 18 children die when school roof collapses in northern India - Aug 18, 2010
- Venus transit clouded in Kerala, monsoon strengthens (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- One dead as Himachal building collapses - Jul 11, 2011
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt traffic (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Mudslide at iron mine in northwest China kills 7, buries 21 - Aug 01, 2012
- Brazil mudslides: Death toll rises to 727 - Jan 20, 2011
- 702 dead, 1,042 missing in China mudslides (Lead) - Aug 10, 2010
- State mourning for killed school-kids in Uttarakhand - Aug 19, 2010
- 665 dead in Brazil mudslides - Jan 18, 2011
- Quake-hit Sikkim puts toll at 23, surveys horror - Sep 19, 2011
- 125 fall ill after mudslide-triggered gas leak in China - Jul 04, 2011
- 337 killed in China mudslides - Aug 10, 2010
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Thane; four drown - Jul 30, 2011
Tags: bbc, building collapse, debris, dehradun, disaster management, heavy monsoon rains, india cause, india floods, ladakh, management team, monsoon season, mudslide, piyush, rescue operations, rescuers, rubble, tragedy, uttarakhand