Hindu Goddess image on swimsuit creates outrageMay 10th, 2011 - 11:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Delhi, May 10 (THAINDIAN NEWS) An Australian fashion designer came up with a swimsuit that has the portrait of Hindu goddess of prosperity and wealth, Lakshi. But this was not well digested by many Indian nationals and there were many protests in the streets of India during the past week as a result of this.
Lisa Burke, the designer and model who was behind this controversial swimsuit, unveiled it at the recent Australian Fashion Week as part of her latest collection.
To say that many Indians did not like the portrait of this goddess of wealth in front and at the back of the swimsuit is an under-statement because there were sights of Indian protesters burning Australian flags in many cities of India. While the Indian protesters were still kicking against what the saw as grave disrespect to the goddess, Lisa Burke swiftly made a pronouncement that she had order immediate stop in the production and distribution of the controversial swimsuit.
Despite a published apology from Ms Burke, the Hindu followers still did not seem to understand why the image would have been used in the first place. Even the press in India are adding their voices in condemning what they termed ‘the West’s misuse of Indian religious images in fashion representations’.
- Goddesses on bikinis: India conveys concern to Australia - May 11, 2011
- Hindu goddess swimsuit creates outrage in India - May 12, 2011
- Hindu groups condemn bikinis with images of Hindu goddess - May 08, 2011
- Rest in peace Prabuddha dada, says fashion world - Aug 13, 2012
- Shivan-Narresh to showcase swimwear at Miami (With images) - Jun 12, 2011
- 'Rang Rasiya' a crowd puller, Nandana overwhelmed at response - Nov 16, 2011
- Fashion photographer Prabuddha Dasgupta dead - Aug 12, 2012
- Corporate backing must for fashion brands: Designers - Apr 04, 2012
- Ignore Left's taunts about saffronisation, Joshi tells Pranab - Mar 08, 2011
- Oprah asked for traditional sari: Tarun Tahiliani (With Image) - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Kali was always worshipped with liquor' - May 27, 2012
- It's time India sets the trends: Neeru Kumar - Apr 07, 2011
- Indian designers need to tap own tradition: Australia Fashion Week founder (Interview) - Mar 25, 2012
- Bal Thackeray prays for 'eccentric, adamant' Hussain - Jun 09, 2011
- Beyond designing, Ritu Beri eyes lifestyle space - Aug 02, 2012
Tags: apology, australian fashion designer, australian fashion week, australian flags, disrespect, followers, goddess image, hindu goddess, indian nationals, indians, lisa burke, New Delhi, outrage, pronouncement, prosperity, protesters, protests, religious images, representations, swimsuit