Gandhi Jayanti being celebrated todayOctober 2nd, 2009 - 4:19 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Delhi, Oct 2 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Gandhi Jayanti is a national holiday celebrated with enthusiasm in India to mark the occasion of the birthday of Mahatma Gandhi, who is known as the “Father of the Nation”.
October 2 is the birthday of the Porbandar born Mahatma Gandhi and is known as ‘Gandhi Jayanti’.
The United Nations General Assembly announced on 15 June 2007 that it adopted a resolution, which declared that October 2 would be celebrated as the International Day of Non-Violence.
On the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti, the president of India, Pratibha Patil greeted the people. She said, ‘“Gandhi Jayanti is an occasion for all of us to reflect on the life and work of the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi. Whenever I remember Bapuji, particularly on this day, his leadership, philosophy and values always overwhelm me. Gandhiji’s leadership inspired millions to unite for the cause of freedom and independence. He also taught us to stand resolutely against fear, to understand the importance of truth and to work for the eradication of poverty, illiteracy and discrimination.’
Since Gandhi was cremated at Raj Ghat, Delhi so on this day special prayer services are held in his memory.
He also played a critical role in the Civil Rights Movement in South Africa during the period 1893 to 1914. He did this to protest when he was discriminated against in South Africa.
Gandhi played a significant part in the Indian independence struggle. His way of protesting to the rulers was through Ahimsa-Non Violence. He played an important role in the ‘Non Cooperation Movement’, Salt Satyagraha and the famous ‘Quit India Movement’ in 1942.
He was a prolific writer and has written many books like An Autobiography of My Experiments with Truth, Satyagraha in South Africa about his struggle there, Hind Swaraj or Indian Home Rule, a political pamphlet, and a paraphrase in Gujarati of John Ruskin’s Unto This Last.
His basic principles of life were truth, non-violence, vegetarianism, bramacharya, simplicity and faith.
He was assassinated on 30th Jan 1948 when he was having his evening public walk on Birla House in New Delhi. Nathuram Godse, a hardcore Hindu nationalist with links to the Hindu Mahasabha, shot him.
- Mahatma Gandhi inspired millions to unite for cause of freedom, independence: President Patil - Oct 01, 2010
- Nation pays homage to Mahatma Gandhi on his 141st birth anniversary - Oct 02, 2010
- Message from the President of India on the eve of Gandhi Jayanti - Oct 02, 2009
- President greets nation on eve of Gandhi Jayanti - Oct 01, 2009
- Dalai Lama gets Mahatma Gandhi peace prize - Jan 04, 2012
- Bikers ride with Mandela's message in Delhi - Jul 19, 2012
- Durban to host Africa diaspora conference - Aug 05, 2010
- Commoner to leader, thousands pay homage to the Mahatma - Oct 02, 2011
- 1,100 convicts write Gandhi exam in jails - Oct 02, 2011
- India, South Africa share cordial relations: Meira Kumar - Jul 10, 2012
- Gandhi inspired world's greatest leaders: US lawmaker - Oct 05, 2011
- Sonia's first appearance post surgery, visits Rajghat - Oct 02, 2011
- People celebrate Mahatama Gandhi's birthday in Gujarat, Maharashtra - Oct 02, 2010
- Book on Mahatma Gandhi released at Delhi Book Fair - Dec 29, 2010
- India hails the 'century of Asia and Africa' - Sep 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,