Floods in eastern India kill at least 59, millions affectedSeptember 27th, 2011 - 12:13 am ICT by BNO News
BHUBANESWAR (BNO NEWS) — At least 59 people have been killed as severe flooding continues in eastern India, where over two million people are estimated to have been affected by the flood waters, officials said on Monday.
In the last three days, at least seventeen people were reported dead as a second phase of flooding hit the eastern Indian state of Orissa, which is located by the Bay of Bengal, officials told the Hindustan Times.
The second phase of flooding began in the region on September 23 as heavy rainfall in the region was triggered by a depression in the Bay of Bengal. Officials said the floods have affected more than 2.1 million people in over 3,000 villages.
Meanwhile, state special relief commissioner PK Mohapatra told the media outlet that six helicopters have been deployed for search and rescue operations, as well as delivering air-drop aid materials. Defense Minister AK Anthony has ordered the Indian air force to deploy additional helicopters to increase relief efforts.
On September 9, the first wave of flooding hit Orissa state, affecting 19 of the state’s 30 districts. With the recent casualties, the death toll has now risen to at least 59. The flooding has been described as Orissa’s worst in 30 years.
Heavy rainfall has affected other regions of India as well as the Ganges, Sore, and Gomti rivers’ water level continues rise. According to reports, around 36 people have died in the country’s Uttar Pradesh state, while in Bihar, warnings have been issued in eight districts.
- Orissa airdrops food as floods get worse - Sep 24, 2011
- Orissa steps up flood relief efforts - Sep 12, 2011
- Fresh floods hit 900 Orissa villages - Sep 23, 2011
- Orissa flood toll 20 - Sep 14, 2011
- Relief teams deployed in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 24, 2011
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- Odisha residents return home after flood water recedes - Aug 06, 2012
- Relief work continues in flood-hit Orissa - Sep 25, 2011
- IAF engaged in Orissa flood relief - Sep 15, 2011
- 16 killed in Orissa floods - Sep 11, 2011
- Floods displace thousands in Orissa - Sep 10, 2011
- Rains batter Andhra Pradesh - Sep 04, 2012
- Cambodia flash floods trap nearly 200 tourists in historic temple - Sep 24, 2011
- Over 80,000 affected in north Bengal floods - Jul 18, 2012
- Flood-hit Orissa gets two more choppers - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: bay of bengal, death toll, defense minister, eastern india, first wave, flood waters, ganges, helicopters, hindustan times, indian air force, mohapatra, orissa state, regions of india, relief efforts, rescue operations, search and rescue, second phase, state of orissa, uttar pradesh state, water level