Bollywood acknowledges only success, not talent: Diya MirzaOctober 13th, 2008 - 10:06 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 13 (IANS) Bollywood runs on “herd mentality”, acknowledging only the successful films of actors and not their talent, says actress and former beauty queen Diya Mirza.Missing from the big screen since her cameo in the box office dud “Krazzy 4″, Diya hopes that her off-beat film “Bits and Pieces” opposite Rahul Bose is released soon.
She attributes her absence to the failure of her films and the industry’s “biased” attitude towards her.
“It was important for me to back off from films. I started my career on a good note with big banners, good producers and good actors, but the films didn’t do too well. We live in an industry (Bollywood) that runs on a herd mentality. It functions only on the number of successful films you have, not your talent,” Diya told IANS in an interview.
Diya won the Miss Asia Pacific beauty pageant in 2000 and forayed into Bollywood in 2001 with Gautham Menon’s “Rehnaa Hai Terre Dil Mein” opposite R. Madhavan. The film did average business at the box office. But after that most of her films including “Deewaanapan”, “Tumko Naa Bhool Paayenge” and “Tehzeeb” sank without a trace.
In seven years, Diya has failed to deliver a memorable performance in the lead.
She was, however, seen in cameos in hits like “Parineeta”, “Lage Raho Munnabhai”, “Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.” and “Shootout at Lokhandwala”. She also made special appearances in box office hits “Heyy Babby” and “Om Shanti Om”.
Not many know that the actress also worked in an offbeat project - National Award winning director Manmohan Mahapatra’s “Bits and Pieces” opposite Rahul Bose. But the film is still awaiting release.
” ‘Bits and Pieces’ is ready and sitting in the can since last year. Unfortunately, some good films don’t see the light of day. I am really sad people didn’t get to see the film despite its diverse story and strong characters. I hope it is released,” she said.
Diya currently has five projects in her kitty - “Acid Factory”, “Johnny Mastana”, “Alibaug”, “Kaun Bola” and “Kisaan”.
The actress is more excited about “Kaun Bola”, which is Arshad Warsi’s first home production.
“I play a girl called Gehna in ‘Kaun Bola’ that is perhaps the meatiest role I have ever played. It is a character I instantly fell in love with. She is perhaps the most real character I’ve done in commercial movies so far. There are very few characters that are so real that you can associate with. There is a lot of me in the film,” she quipped.
The film is written by Arshad and also stars Boman Irani.
“It is a funny, light-hearted as well as an emotional film. It is not a senseless comedy like we have these days.”
Diya says she is looking forward to exploring herself as an actor in her forthcoming projects and carving a niche for herself.
“I need to find my own foothold. Even if I do a small film, I need to explore myself now. Whatever I’m doing right now is satisfying me both personally and professionally. People will see a tremendous change in my upcoming films. I am working very hard to get it right this time,” she said.
- My husband liked my ethnic look in item number: Chitrangada - Jul 31, 2012
- Review Of 'Shahrukh Bola Khoobsurat Hai Tu': Amateurish But A Good Watch! - Nov 19, 2010
- Diya Sonecha Gets Pampering From We Are Family Director - Jul 22, 2010
- Beyond offbeat films, I want comedy, romance: Mahie Gill - Feb 25, 2012
- Male pairs: Twist in the Bollywood tale - May 12, 2011
- Life is like a boxing ring: Amitabh (Movie Snippets) - Jun 26, 2011
- I'm nervous about 'Murder 2': Jacqueline - Jan 27, 2011
- Bollywood woman power: Vidya, Ekta carry the baton - Dec 09, 2011
- Huma Qureshi in Hollywood cameo - Jul 23, 2012
- I'm not going back to TV: Prachi Desai - May 12, 2012
- My focus is on quality, not quantity: Zarine - Apr 07, 2012
- Can't wait to work with Madhuri again: Naseeruddin - Jun 18, 2012
- Yesteryears' item girl Jayshree T. set for TV debut - Oct 16, 2010
- I'd like to learn marketing from SRK, Aamir: Hrithik (Film Snippets) - Apr 05, 2010
- Madhoo wants Ratnam to make 'Roja 2' - Jul 09, 2012