At least 36 killed after Indian boat sinks in whirlpoolOctober 11th, 2010 - 6:59 pm ICT by BNO News
NEW DELHI, INDIA (BNO NEWS) — Thirty-six people drowned and at least 25 people are still missing after an overcrowded boat sank pn the Ganga river in the northwestern region of India on Sunday evening, local authorities said on Monday.
The boat was heading from Balia in Uttar Pradesh to Dalapur in Bihar and was carrying around 80 passengers - mostly farm laborers and their children - when it got caught in a whirlpool, capsizing - or tipping over - near the Brahmpur police station in the Buxar district.
Nineteen people were able to swim to safety, but the Director General of the police of Neelmani confirmed that the bodies of 25 women and children and 11 men where found, and that at least 25 people are still missing. Twelve people have been admitted to Sadar Hospital in Buxar.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar ordered a magisterial investigation into the incident, while directing an increased rescue effort by authorities of the state disaster management. The National Disaster Response Force with the help of local divers have been searching for missing bodies.
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Eleven killed, over 25 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- 20 die in Bangladesh boat capsize - Apr 21, 2011
- Five killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Four killed, 10 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Aug 10, 2012
- Six killed, 20 missing as boat capsizes in Bihar - Sep 10, 2012
- Three drown as overloaded boat capsizes in Bihar - May 22, 2012
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Seven people drown in West Bengal - Sep 15, 2010
- 40 missing in Bihar boat accident - Oct 11, 2010
- 3 die, scores missing after Nepal boat capsize - Aug 25, 2012
- Boat tragedy toll rises to 61 (Lead) - Jun 15, 2010
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- Eight missing as boat capsizes in Orissa - May 08, 2011
- 35 dead as boat capsizes in Bihar (Lead) - Oct 11, 2010
Tags: balia, bihar, bno, chief minister, disaster management, disaster response, farm laborers, ganga river, local authorities, national disaster, new delhi india, northwestern region, police station, rescue effort, response force, sinks, state disaster, sunday evening, whirlpool