Anna Hazare accepts release from Tihar JailAugust 19th, 2011 - 7:22 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New Delhi, Aug 19 (THAINDIAN NEWS) The New Delhi police have reportedly reached an agreement with Indian anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare regarding his intended hunger strike. Police arrested Anna on Tuesday ahead of the start of his intended hunger strike along with 1,200 of his faithful followers.
After his arrest, the 74-year-old vowed that he would remain in police custody forever. His followers also held a vigil outside the police station where he was held. There were several vigils throughout India.
Anna was scheduled to be released on Thursday but the police say the park where the event is going to take place is not yet ready. Anna and his followers are expected to gather at the Ram Lila Maidan Park in Delhi on Friday where they will start the hunger strike.
The police have accepted that Anna can fast for 15 days. The police had earlier insisted that they would not allow Anna and his followers to fast beyond three days.
The followers of Anna received the news of his release with cheers in the various streets of New Delhi and beyond.
Anna announced that he was going on a hunger strike to protest the high rate of corruption in the country. It is estimated that India loses billions of dollars each year through corruption.
- Government blinks, Anna on fast track (Intro Roundup) - Aug 18, 2011
- Listen to doctors, cops tell Team Anna (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Government bends, Anna to fast at Ramlila ground (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Intro Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Pro-Anna demonstrations continue in Bihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Team Anna writes to PM ahead of Mumbai fast (Roundup) - Dec 25, 2011
- Listen to doctors, Delhi Police tells Team Anna - Aug 01, 2012
- Ramlila ground gets set for Anna Hazare - Aug 18, 2011
- Hazare calls for jail bharo after ban orders (Intro Roundup) - Aug 16, 2011
- Team Anna, government headed for showdown - Aug 16, 2011
- Anna supporters throng outside Tihar - Aug 17, 2011
- Bihar fasts to support Anna - Aug 18, 2011
- Protests gather momentum, over 1,000 detained in Mumbai (Second Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Thackeray speaks to Hazare, sends grandson to venue - Aug 26, 2011
- Plea seeks spot for peaceful protests in Delhi - Aug 16, 2011
Tags: activist, anna hazare, billions of dollars, cheers, corruption, delhi police, dollars each year, faithful followers, hunger strike, India, lila, maidan, police custody, police station, streets of new delhi, vigil, vigils