2 strong earthquakes hits the same spot near Andaman Islands in IndiaJune 27th, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by admin
2 strong quakes of magnitude 6.7 and 6.1 on the Richter scale hit just 115 km off the cost of Andaman Islands today at 11:40:16 GMT and 13:07:10 GMT respectively.
Residents ran out of their homes as the powerful jolt rattled buildings, already weakened by a series of earthquakes that have hit the Andamans since the tsunami.
There have been no reports of Tsunami.
“We have not issued any tsunami alert although it occurred at a depth of around 35 kilometres (21.7 miles) in the Andaman Sea,” a spokesman from the local Disaster Management Cell told AFP.
At first glance, this quake does resemble characterstics of 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake which was laveld the 2nd deadliest earthquake of all time killing almost 230,000 people.
AFP reports that the Indian navy ordered its ships not to approach Andaman shores until an all-clear was sounded by the local military command.
The Andaman Islands are a group of islands in the Bay of Bengal, and are part of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands Union Territory of India. Port Blair is the chief community on the islands, and the administrative centre of the Union Territory. The Andaman Islands form a single administrative district within the Union Territory, the Andaman district (the Nicobar district was separated and established as a new district in 1974). The population of the Andamans was 314,084 in 2001.
- No tsunami threat to India due to Indonesia earthquake - May 09, 2010
- Magnitude 6.7 quake hits Andaman : No Tsunami Alert yet - Jun 27, 2008
- India enhancing security on its islands: Chidambaram - Sep 02, 2011
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- NDMA rules out tsunami threat to India - Apr 11, 2012
- India sounds tsunami warning after Indonesian quake - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong quake hits off southern Taiwan, no threat - Feb 15, 2011
- Quake jolts Indonesia, panic grips India (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Moderate earthquake hits Andaman - Jun 19, 2010
- Commercial activity to be banned in Jarawa zone - May 31, 2012
- Strong but deep earthquake strikes east of India's Andaman Islands in the Bay of Bengal - Jun 01, 2010
- 7.4-magnitude quake hits New Zealand - Sep 04, 2010
- Moderate quake shakes Andaman, no casualties (Lead) - Jun 19, 2010
- Moderate earthquake hits northern Taiwan, no casualties - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: administrative centre, administrative district, andaman and nicobar, andaman and nicobar islands, andaman islands, andaman sea, andamans, bay of bengal, deadliest earthquake, disaster management, first glance, india port, indian navy, indian ocean earthquake, islands in the bay of bengal, management cell, port blair, richter scale, strong quakes, union territory