Zoo gears up for monsoon season in BiharJuly 29th, 2010 - 5:06 pm ICT by ANI
By Ajay Kumar
Patna, July 29 (ANI): Authorities of the Sanjay Gandhi Botanical and Zoological Gardens in Patna, Bihar have started cleaning up the zoo enclosures to prevent insects from breeding during the monsoon season.
The water collects in the animal enclosures during the rain, and pumps are being used to drain out the collected water.
Lime spray and blowgun fire are also being used to disinfect the animal enclosures.
“At present we are getting cleaned all the enclosures in mud so that insects do not breed. From time to time we are spraying lime. Beside this, in the night house where animals stay, that is being disinfected by blowgun fire. Cleaning done by using turmeric is more frequent,” said Abhay Kumar, Director of the Sanjay Gandhi Botanical and Zoological Gardens.
Visitors to the zoo have appreciated the steps taken by the zoo authorities.
“Administration has taken good steps. Whatever insects are coming out, they are spraying medicine and it is really creating good atmosphere,” said Dinesh Kumar, a zoo visitor.
Normally during rainy season water gets collected which leads to breeding of mosquitoes and spreading of infectious diseases. (ANI)
- Now, coolers, glucose and vitamins for Patna Zoo inmates - Apr 19, 2010
- Bihar, Tripura zoos to exchange rare animals - Jun 13, 2010
- Delhi Zoo becomes virtual island, agencies pass buck - Sep 11, 2011
- Kolkata zoo to get kangaroos - May 19, 2011
- Ape injures girl after escaping from zoo - Jul 16, 2012
- No anthrax at Delhi zoo: Officials - May 02, 2012
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Blame game begins over Delhi Zoo blackbucks' deaths - Sep 28, 2010
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Sweeden's park where wolves killed Zookeeper now offers "wild encounters" to its visitors - Jun 19, 2012
- Two black bucks find a home at Patna Zoo - May 02, 2010
- The only white tigress of Patna zoo dies - Jul 03, 2011
- Escaped tigers rescued in Guwahati - Jan 30, 2010
- Chimpanzee asks people to free him at Wales Zoo - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: animal enclosures, atmosphere, authorities, bihar, blowgun, breeding of mosquitoes, gears, infectious diseases, insects, lime, monsoon season, mosquitoes, mud, pumps, rainy season, sanjay gandhi, season water, turmeric, zoo, zoological gardens