Zardari to arrive at UN for global dialogue on religion, cultureNovember 11th, 2008 - 1:22 pm ICT by ANI
New York, Nov 11 (ANI): Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari is expected to arrive at the United Nations today to participate in the global dialogue about religion, culture and common values.
Zardari will be accompanied by a five-member delegation, including his countrys Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi.
More than 54 heads of state and government, foreign ministers and senior officials have so far confirmed that they would attend the two-day High-Level Meeting on Culture of Peace, reported the Daily Times.
To begin Wednesday, the meeting would be addressed by US President George Bush on Thursday. King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia, at whose initiative this gathering of world leaders is taking place, will lead his countrys delegation.
Also attending the event will be Israeli President Shimon Peres, who will be accompanied by his Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni.
India will be represented by its Minister of State for External Affairs Anand Sharma.
The New York meeting is an offshoot of an inter-faith conference organised by King Abdullah and King Juan Carlos of Spain in July this year, which was attended by representatives of Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and other religions.
UN General Assembly president Miguel dEscoto Brockmann will open the meeting and Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will present a welcome address. It is not yet clear if a declaration will be issued at the end of the two-day event. (ANI)
- UN meet blames 'more advanced societies' for social ills - Nov 13, 2008
- Israeli leaders welcome Saudi peace proposal - Nov 13, 2008
- Pak Prez Zardari to attend UNs inter-faith conference on Nov 12 - Nov 06, 2008
- Islam-Christianity dialogue features at Kazakh interfaith meet - May 31, 2012
- Israel backs India for UN permanent seat - Jan 10, 2012
- Preneet Kaur's Manila visit for interfaith dialogue for cooperation in peace - Mar 19, 2010
- UN General Assembly to hold economic crisis debate - May 27, 2009
- Israeli President Peres urges youth to join politics - Feb 02, 2010
- Manmohan Singh meets Zardari - Aug 30, 2012
- Zardari to attend Islamic meet in Saudi Arabia - Jul 29, 2012
- Saudi Islamic summit to discuss Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- Israeli defence minister heads to US to discuss Iran - Feb 27, 2012
- Israel criticises Palestinian president's UN speech - Sep 24, 2011
- India disturbed by rise of intolerance worldwide: E. Ahamed - Nov 13, 2008
- Muslims, Catholics hold inter-faith meet in Vatican - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: asif ali zardari, assembly president, ban ki moon, brockmann, common values, culture of peace, faith conference, foreign minister tzipi livni, global dialogue, heads of state and government, israeli president, juan carlos of spain, king abdullah of saudi arabia, king juan carlos, king juan carlos of spain, member delegation, president george bush, shimon peres, tzipi livni, welcome address