Zardari-Singh meeting may decide timeframe for cross LoC tradeSeptember 24th, 2008 - 11:41 am ICT by ANI
Islamabad , Sept 24 (ANI): A formal announcement about the dates of launching cross-Line of Control (LoC) trade in Kashmir is likely to be made after todays meeting between President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly in New York , diplomatic sources said.
This will be high on the agenda of bilateral talks between the two leaders in their first ever meeting, informed diplomatic sources said.
The schedule and other details of the cross-LoC trade agreement reached between the two sides at a meeting on Monday in New Delhi would be reflected in a joint statement likely to be issued after the Zardari-Singh meeting, the Daily Times quoted the sources as saying.
A statement issued after the New Delhi meeting had said: The modalities of cross-LoC trade were finalised.
Later, the leader of Pakistan delegation Aizaz Ahmed Chaudhry, Additional Secretary ( South Asia ) at the foreign ministry, told journalists that the trade list had also been finalised.
The initiation of cross-LoC trade would be the second major Kashmir-related CBM between the two countries after the launch of Srinagar-Muzafarrabad bus service in April 2005.
Subsequently, in Oct 2005 the two nations also agreed to open foot crossings at five points across the LoC. However, currently only three meeting points on the LoC are operational. The proposal of intra-Kashmir trade was first mooted in 2005 and India had been particularly keen on it. (ANI)
- Cross-LoC trade needs financial mechanisms: Omar - Apr 04, 2012
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- India, Pakistan ease Kashmir travel, trade - Jul 27, 2011
- Cross LoC travel: India unilaterally increases stay period to six months - Mar 26, 2011
- First joint trade chamber for divided Kashmir chooses chief - Feb 09, 2012
- Home secretary reviews cross-LOC trade at Poonch - May 17, 2012
- Mufti demands hassle-free cross-LoC trade - May 22, 2012
- India, Pakistan discuss additional CBMs for Kashmir - Jul 19, 2012
- Union home secretary in Kashmir, meets Omar - May 16, 2012
- Pakistan to continue support to Kashmir cause: PM - Jul 06, 2012
- Pakistan to continue support to Kashmir cause: Ashraf (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Omar for sustained Indo-Pak dialogue and 'J-K centric' CBMs - Apr 07, 2012
- High hopes in Kashmir as India meets Pakistan - Jul 24, 2011
- India, Pakistan to discuss cross-LoC trade, CBMs on Monday - Sep 21, 2008
- India, Pakistan firm up new cross-Kashmir CBMs - Jul 18, 2011
Tags: asif ali zardari, bilateral talks, bus service, cbm, crossings, diplomatic sources, five points, foreign ministry, formal announcement, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, islamabad, kashmir, manmohan, manmohan singh, modalities, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, South Asia, un general assembly