Zardari can decide on Sarabjit Singhs release: Pak Law MinisterOctober 6th, 2008 - 6:18 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Oct 6 (ANI): Pakistans Law Minister Farooq H. Naek today said that President Asif Ali Zardari can decide on the case of Sarabjit Singh, who was arrested on charges of terrorism and is facing the death penalty.
Naek, while talking to media persons at Kot Lakhpat jail here, said that he met Sarabjit on the directive of Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani and President Zardari.
He said that he asked the jail authorities to provide details of Sarabjits case, adding President can exercise his power to release any prisoner under article 45 of the constitution.
Sarabjit was arrested by the Pakistani security officials after implicating him in bomb attacks in Lahore and Faisalabad which had claimed lives of 14 innocent people.
According to the court record, Sarabjit Singh had confessed his involvement in the bomb blasts. According to the record, he was arrested when he was crossing the border in August 1990.
Nine days later, he was produced before a magistrate as Manjit Singh, a man wanted for acts of terrorism in Pakistan. Before the magistrate, he confessed to his crime.
Sarabjit was originally set to be hanged on April 1 and his execution was initially deferred for 30 days by former Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf. This was done so that the new Pakistan Peoples Party-led government could review his case following Indias appeal for clemency. (ANI)
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Government should explain Sarabjit confusion: BJP - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: acts of terrorism, asif ali zardari, bomb attacks, bomb blasts, clemency, crossing the border, facing the death, faisalabad, farooq, gilani, jail authorities, law minister, manjit singh, media persons, naek, pakistan peoples party, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, president pervez musharraf, yousuf