‘Yatra’ against special powers act to begin from SrinagarOctober 15th, 2011 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Oct 15 (IANS) Social activist Medha Patkar and Magsaysay award winner Sandeep Pandey will Sunday start from Srinagar their 4,500-km ‘yatra’ for revocation of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA), an activist said here.
Faisal Khan, leader of the National Alliance of People’s Movements, told IANS here: “About 25 people from various states of the country will participate in the anti-AFSPA yatra led by me and other participants, including Medha Patkar, Sandeep Pandey, the Magsaysay awardee, Irom Singhjhit, the brother of Irom Sharmila, local MLA (legislator) Engineer Abdul Rashid, and others.
“The yatra will cover around 4,500 km through 10 states and will conclude at Jawaharlal Nehru Hospital at Imphal where Irom Sharmila is admitted Oct, 27.”
“The objective of the yatra is to create awareness among people of those states where the AFSPA is not in force that laws like this have created a serious void between the people of these states and the people of Kashmir and Manipur where AFSPA is in force,” Khan said.
“At 3 p.m. we will go to the Hazratbal shrine, pray for justice and peace, and then we will move to the Press Enclave at Pratap Park in Srinagar where the rally will be addressed before it is flagged off,” said Khan.
The ‘yatra’ is part of the “Save Sharmila Solidarity Campaign”, he added.
Raja Muzaffar of the Jammu and Kashmir Right to Information (RTI) movement has said it is the duty of every right thinking citizen to support the campaign.
“We have been the victims of the AFSPA for many years now,” he said.
- 4,500 km 'yatra' against Special Powers Act begins - Oct 16, 2011
- Armed forces act to go from some Kashmir areas: Omar - Oct 21, 2011
- Irom Sharmila's supporters detained - Oct 20, 2011
- Aamir supports Manipur rights activist - Aug 29, 2011
- Irom Sharmila must reach out to people: G.K. Pillai - Aug 30, 2011
- 'Media ignores Irom Sharmila but focusses on Hazare' - Aug 21, 2011
- One day, my fight will also be recognised: Irom Sharmila - Aug 30, 2011
- Northeast parties press for repealing army's special powers - Apr 11, 2012
- PDP wants army special powers revoked in entire state - Nov 21, 2011
- AFSPA extended for six months in Tripura - Sep 08, 2011
- After Anna Hazare, netizens support Irom Sharmila - Apr 12, 2011
- Special powers act extended for six months in Tripura - Mar 19, 2012
- Don't understand why Team Anna members quit: Medha Patkar - Oct 18, 2011
- Patkar blames Chhattisgarh government for egg-tomato attack - Jan 08, 2010
- A single bill can't eradicate corruption: Mahasweta Devi (Interview) - Nov 10, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,