Yasin Malik on hunger strike in KashmirJune 3rd, 2010 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, June 3 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) chief Yasin Malik Thursday went on a daylong hunger strike, along with 30 party activists, in north Kashmir’s Nadihal village to protest the murders of three villagers in a staged shootout April 30.
“Acts like these are committed to suppress the ongoing freedom movement. The international community must investigate such crimes to expose the designs of the security forces to muzzle the voice of the freedom-seeking people of Kashmir,” Malik told reporters in Srinagar before leaving for Nadihal village in Rafiabad.
Three local villagers — Shahzad Ahmad Khan, Riyaz Ahmad Lone and Muhammad Shafi Lone — were allegedly framed as separatist guerrillas and later killed in a staged shootout in north Kashmir’s Machil sector of the Line of Control (LOC), which divides Jammu and Kashmir between India and Pakistan, April 30.
Police have arrested four people — a soldier of the territorial army and three informers of the army — for luring the three civilians to work as labourers for the army at a daily wage of Rs.2,000. An army officer has also been accused in the case.
The civilians were reportedly abducted April 27 and later killed in a staged shootout.
- Fake shootout case: Police to seek army officer's custody (Lead, superseding previous story) - Jun 03, 2010
- Police to seek custody of army officer in fake shootout case - Jun 03, 2010
- Army officer booked for civilian killings - May 29, 2010
- Army officer booked for civilian killings in Kashmir (Lead) - May 29, 2010
- Court rejects army's plea to hand over Machil gunfight accused - Jun 15, 2010
- Ten injured in Kashmir clashes over civilian killings (Roundup) - May 29, 2010
- Two held for three Kashmir killings in fake gun battle (Lead) - May 28, 2010
- Kashmir government to probe 'staged' shootout - May 28, 2010
- Two arrested for involvement in fake gun battle in Kashmir - May 28, 2010
- Machil staged shootout raises doubts about previous operations: Omar - Jun 06, 2010
- Two army men suspended over Kashmir civilian killings (Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- Army not to hand over men accused of killings - Jul 25, 2010
- Major suspended, colonel removed over Kashmir killings (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2010
- PM should take action against fake killings in J-K: Mufti Mohammad Sayeed - May 30, 2010
- Angry villagers pelt stones at Mehbooba Mufti's cavalcade - May 30, 2010
Tags: ahmad khan, army officer, freedom movement, hunger strike, india and pakistan, informers, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir liberation, labourers, malik, muhammad shafi, muzzle, north kashmir, party activists, riyaz, rs 2, separatist guerrillas, srinagar, territorial army