Yasin Malik arrested in KashmirNovember 1st, 2008 - 10:49 pm ICT by ANI
Srinagar, Nov 1 (ANI): Separatist leader and chief of Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) Yasin Malik was arrested in Kashmir on Saturday under Public Security Act.
On Oct 23, Malik had launched his poll boycott campaign from Hajin town in Kashmir asking people to stay away from the assembly polls.
“Putting us in jail cannot kill our spirits. It is a request to my fellow Kashmiris that they should be with this non-violent movement which they have been supporting for the last four months and continue to do so,” Malik said.
Meanwhile, protesters demonstrating against the arrest of Malik clashed with police in Srinagar.
Protesters burnt tyres and pelted stones at the police, which resorted to firing to disperse the demonstrators.
Elections have been declared in Jammu and Kashmir and the seven-phase poll will begin from November 17 and end on December 24 to replace the Governors rule imposed after the Congress party-led coalition government fell in July over Amarnath shrine land transfer row.
All political parties including the National Conference, Congress, Bharatiya Janata Party, Peoples” Democratic Party (PDP) and others are participating in the assembly polls.
However, separatists have said they would urge people to boycott the elections.
Mehbooba Mufti, chief of Peoples” Democratic Party (PDP), said that they were confident of getting a clear mandate in the upcoming state polls.
“There is a feeling among the people of Kashmir that if any party can take out Jammu and Kashmir from all the problems and troubles then that is only Peoples” Democratic Party (PDP),” said, Mufti.
On Tuesday, the PDP had announced its decision to join the forthcoming elections in the state.
PDP says it is participating in the elections as only the people of the state have the right to choose their representatives. (ANI)
- Mirwaiz, Malik not to meet all-party team - Sep 20, 2010
- Mehbooba Mufti set to be re-elected PDP chief - Oct 25, 2011
- MPs, civil society members to break Kashmir ice - Dec 03, 2010
- Yasin Malik, supporters arrested in Srinagar (Lead) - Sep 30, 2011
- Kashmir panchayat polls to be held by April - Jan 17, 2011
- Mehbooba re-elected PDP president - Oct 31, 2011
- PDP to boycott Kashmir panchayat polls (Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- Kashmir: All-party delegation to visit Tangmarg, hospitals today - Sep 21, 2010
- Ruckus in Kashmir assembly over cricket scam - Mar 13, 2012
- Kashmiris express shock and anger at Delhi attack - Sep 08, 2011
- Afzal Guru's hanging will re-kindle militancy: Yasin Malik - Sep 29, 2011
- Police baton charge protesters in Srinagar - Jan 21, 2012
- Kashmir holds peaceful panchayat polls - May 16, 2011
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- All-party team in Kashmir, gets cold shoulder from separatists (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 20, 2010
Tags: assembly polls, bharatiya janata party, boycott campaign, coalition government, congress party, demonstrators, forthcoming elections, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir liberation, liberation front, party peoples, pdp, poll boycott, public security, security act, separatist leader, srinagar, state polls, violent movement