Yashwant Sinha quits BJP executive amidst differences within partyJune 13th, 2009 - 3:59 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 13(ANI): Former Union Minister and senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha on Saturday resigned from all posts that he held in the party, amidst differences within the BJP after defeat in the recent Lok Sabha elections.
Sinha, who was the BJP vice-president, also quit from the party’s national executive council.
Sinha is reported to have put across his decision to party president Rajnath Singh in a letter, in which he is believed to have raised questions about the decisions which the party took recently, which includes elevating Arun Jaitley to the post of Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha and appointing Sushma Swaraj as the Deputy Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha.
However, party president Rajnath Singh claimed that there were no difference’s among top leaders within the party, and added that he was yet to receive Sinha’s resignation letter.
“I am yet to receive the resignation letter. When I get it I will read it,” Rajnath Singh said.
Yashwant Sinha is also reported to have attacked the party leadership over its failure to seriously introspect and fix responsibility for the Lok Sabha poll debacle, saying some leaders in the party do not want accountability.
Yashwant Sinha’s letter comes a day after senior party leader Jaswant Singh went public with his criticism of the poor handling of party’s poll campaign by several leaders.
Earlier, Rajnath Singh had said that he had discussed the issue with senior party leader LK Advani, amid pressure to take disciplinary action against Jaswant Singh as well as Arun Shourie. (ANI)
- Shourie writes to Rajnath, wants debate on poll debacle - Jun 19, 2009
- Jaswant files nomination for vice presidential poll (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- BJP president Rajnath Singh accepts Yashwant Sinha's resignation - Jun 13, 2009
- Advani warns partymen against going public with criticism - Jun 21, 2009
- Shatrughan concerned over growing differences among BJP members - Jun 12, 2010
- After veterans, regional leaders queering pitch for BJP (Second Lead) - Aug 26, 2009
- Yashwant Sinha quits party posts, BJP in turmoil after poll debacle (Roundup) - Jun 13, 2009
- Sinha, Shourie axed from BJP meet for pubic criticism - Aug 11, 2009
- Sushma Swaraj meets RSS chief - Aug 28, 2009
- More trouble for BJP as it cracks down on dissension (Lead) - Jun 13, 2009
- A month after: BJP in generational battle (News Analysis) - Jun 14, 2009
- Jaswant files nomination for vice presidential poll - Jul 20, 2012
- Rajnath takes onus for BJP poll debacle, swears by Hindutva (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2009
- BJP faces revolt against Jharkhand Rajya Sabha nomination - Mar 20, 2012
- Dissent grows in BJP over Rajya Sabha nomination - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: arun jaitley, bjp leader, deputy leader, jaswant singh, leader of opposition, lok sabha elections, lok sabha poll, national executive council, party leader, party leadership, party president, poll campaign, poll debacle, rajnath singh, rajya sabha, resignation letter, s poll, sinha, swaraj, union minister